Opinions/Suggestions on New Build?

This topic contains 127 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  ana3mic 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 136 total)
  • Author

Gurk

Hi, i’m quite new here and was referred by Enad and Josh (Spartan?) a few years ago. Still not fixed my old rig… can’t believe it’s been 3 years almost!

I’m just getting back into gaming etc and am currently without a Gaming Rig so I thought i’d build one. I’ve compiled a list of parts, if you’d be so kind as to take a look and suggest or voice your opinions on these parts? This will be my first build so go easy on me, if i’ve made bollocks choices, haha.

CASE – Cougar Evolution
    CPU – Intel i5 3570k @ 3.4Ghz
    CPU COOLER – Antec Kuhler H20 620
    MOBO – Asus P8Z77-V LX
    RAM – Corsair Vengenace 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    GFX – NVIDIA PNY GTX 660Ti Geforce 2GB
    SSD – Sandisk Extreme 120GB
    HDD – Seagtae Baracuda 1TB
    PSU – Cooler Master RS-700-ASAB GX-Lite

COST – £803.67

Trying to keep the cost as low as possible for a decent rig, planning to run ArmA3 and COH2 most likely.

Thanks in advance!

Gurk

Enad
    Enad

That’s honestly not a bad computer right there.
    If you can afford to go a little higher with the CPU than it would be a tad better but otherwise it’s a very good mid-range PC. Maybe a different brand of PSU too? I’m not familiar with Antecs reputation with Power Supplies.

ArmA 3 isn’t perfectly optimized at the moment, but I’m sure it will be on the full release.

Anyways, It’s good to see you back Gurk.

Gurk

What sort of CPU would you say, not sure how much more I could go up probably stretching it as it is, haha.
    I’ll probably be running a fair few more games than that but start small and move on from there, you still playing are you?

Thanks mate!

Enad
    Enad

Do you plan on overclocking? If not, there’s no need to buy a k version of that CPU, which could save you some money. Maybe even go up to the next in line CPU.

You have Steam right? Add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/RickRanger/

Gurk

I plan to overclock, as i’m looking at expanding my knowledge in the matter as well.

Right, should be added now.

Enad
    Enad

Not trying to advise you against overclocking, but some of the newer CPUs have turbo mode which basically auto OC’s them. They won’t go any higher than that clock speed but sometimes the clock speed is pretty high already so you should check that you.

Gurk

Yeah, I know about the Turbo Boost stuff. Just something that I was interested in looking into. Or is it starting to loose relevance with the advent of Turbo Boost etc?

Jester
    Jester
    Keymaster

It looks great, though I’d choose a different case: if in a low budget look at Lancool, Corsair, Cooler Master, or NZXT. The PSU you chose is awful, go for Seasonic G series which are budget friendly PSUs, but with top level enthusiast performance and a semi-modular design. They’re really too good to be true.

As for turbo boosting, the regular i5 3570 (non-K) will be limited to around 4.2 GHz with turbo mode. However this means it won’t always be running at 4.2 GHz. During most games it will go anywhere from 3.4 to 4.2 dynamically. Whereas if you get the i5 3570k and overclock it, you’d most likely have it running at around 4.5 GHz all the time. The price isn’t that much different between the 3570 and 3570k, so you might as well get the 3570k.

Gurk

What sort of case would you recommend, I looked at the BitFenix Raider as well. I’ll try and price up some Seasonic G PSUs.

Thanks for the advice!

Jester
    Jester
    Keymaster

The Corsair 200R is amazing for the price, and so is the Lancool PC-K57. The Lancool is built better, but the Corsair has a black interior and perhaps a bit more space.

Gurk

I could get the Corsair Carbide 500R as it is only a few more pounds than the 200R, would that be a better case? I’ve heard good things about both.

Jester
    Jester
    Keymaster

If the price difference is so small, the 500R is the way to go. It includes more fans I’m pretty sure, has better build quality, might have more dust filters, and looks nicer I think.

Gurk

Right, finally begun this, and have decided to change some components with costs dropping and my budget increasing! Haven’t really shopped around, but Scan seems to be spot on in terms of costs at the moment.

Rig ideas

CASE – Corsair Vengeance C70
    (BOUGHT @ £95)

CPU – Intel i5 4670k @ 3.4Ghz “http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i5-4670k-s-1150-haswell-quad-core-34ghz-38ghz-turbo-1200mhz-gpu-34x-ratio-retail-plus-fre
    Cost – £169.75

CPU COOLER – Most likely going to be a custom cooling loop now! EK being the main contender.

MOBO – MSI Z87-G45
    (BOUGHT @ £111.44)

RAM – Corsair Vengenace 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz “http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-%282x4gb%29-corsair-ddr3-vengeance-racing-red-pc3-12800-%281600%29-non-ecc-cas-9-9-9-24-xmp-15v
    Cost – £68.16

GFX – NVIDIA MSI GeForce GTX 770 4GB
    (BOUGHT @ £282)

SSD – Looking at Samsung EVO and PRO drives.

HDD – Multiple 1TB drives?

PSU – Corsair CX750M 750W
    (BOUGHT @ £74.99)

Estimated Cost – £1000+

I may pick up another GTX 770 in the future, as more funds become available and don’t think the PSU could handle that… Also contemplating ditching the H100i in favour of a watercooling loop with the ability to expand it to incorporate the GPUs however, this is all on the fly thinking!

This could be a slow build… payday is a month away yet. 🙁

Any input, suggestions or whatever are appreciated!

Thanks

Gurk

UPDATE: Ditched the H100i, going to go for a custom watercooling loop! 😀 Also ditched the EVGA in favour of the Corsair CX750M, 750W PSU. Looking at increasing the size of the SSD and setting up a number of HDDs, probably one for documents, photos etc and one for backup recovery.

We shall see!

strudinox
    strudinox
    Keymaster

}An all around decent setup! You shouldn’t have much trouble running any game at max settings, especially if you picked up another one of those 770s. The only thing I can personally vouch for is the RAM. I have the 16GB 1600MHz kit currently clocked at 1833MHz no problems. Keep us posted! And with pics 😀

Jester
    Jester
    Keymaster

Looks great. Now everyone has a better PC than me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 136 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

You Might Also Like