"Love it or hate it" games?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Charcharo Charcharo 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Jester
    Jester
    Keymaster

As with movies and other forms of media, I noticed that some games seem to be either loved or hated, without much in between. What are some “love it or hate it” games you can think of?

The first that comes to mind for me is Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. When looking at its Steam discussion forum, I either see people saying the game is a disaster, or it’s their favorite game ever. Although our review is somewhere in between loving it and hating it, with some aspects of it being loved (writing/story) and others being hated (lack of survival mechanics, technical issues), that doesn’t account for the general consensus.

Dark Souls seems to be another. I can’t think of any others at the moment.

strudinox
    strudinox
    Keymaster

COD multiplayer. If you’re between the ages of 4-12 you love it. Everyone else hates it.

m88betnhjnh

Great idea, wish you success

m88asia910

I also like your idea first, supporting offline

Jester
    Jester
    Keymaster

Of course, not sure how I could forget that one.

Enad
    Enad

Many seem to love or hate the ArmA series. If you can get past the complex controls and the unconventional movement, people generally love it, but then of course those who can’t understand it just hate it.

Charcharo
    Charcharo
    Participant

STALKER is like that as well. Many rough gems are. As are some… imperfect (to say the least) but interesting or ambitious titles. Like Cuban Missile Crisis for me.

grompz
    grompz

I think Bioshock Infinite can fit this case, especially the story. Some people find this game genious with the time-travel-plot-twist with a georgeous art design while other think that the story is just lazy and deliberately confusing to hide the poor writing quality and cliché plot.

Personnally, I don’t know, I just find this game to be an average shooter, and I think Elizabeth has something to do with this game success (like Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider reboob -sorry- reboot in fact, wich is also an average third person action game and a step backward from Anniversary in just almost every way except the shooting mechanics).

Jester
    Jester
    Keymaster

@grompz 121131 wrote:

I think Elizabeth has something to do with this game success (like Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider reboob -sorry- reboot in fact, wich is also an average third person action game and a step backward from Anniversary in just almost every way except the shooting mechanics).

Bingo. Toss in a female character and all of a sudden your game is received much more favorably.

Enad
    Enad

@grompz 121131 wrote:

I think Bioshock Infinite can fit this case, especially the story. Some people find this game genious with the time-travel-plot-twist with a georgeous art design while other think that the story is just lazy and deliberately confusing to hide the poor writing quality and cliché plot.

Personnally, I don’t know, I just find this game to be an average shooter, and I think Elizabeth has something to do with this game success (like Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider reboob -sorry- reboot in fact, wich is also an average third person action game and a step backward from Anniversary in just almost every way except the shooting mechanics).

Wow someone else with a critical option of games who doesn’t just lap up the general consensus and turn that into their own personal opinion! I like you Grompz. You fit in here nicely.

Charcharo
    Charcharo
    Participant

Bioshock Infinite was one of those times when I did not understand the gaming press…at all.
    And I wanted to since I gave money for the game due to their reviews… but ultimately was very much underwhelmed.

Too bad for some reason it killed the hype for Metro: LL that year 🙁
    It and the movie – TLOU

Jester
    Jester
    Keymaster

@charcharo 121140 wrote:

Bioshock Infinite was one of those times when I did not understand the gaming press…at all.
    And I wanted to since I gave money for the game due to their reviews… but ultimately was very much underwhelmed.

It and the movie – TLOU

Well then, at least Metro: Last Light was a present surprise for you.

Charcharo
    Charcharo
    Participant

@jester 121146 wrote:

@charcharo 121140 wrote:

It and the movie – TLOU

Well then, at least Metro: Last Light was a present surprise for you.

Not really. It was awesome… as expected 😀 !

Lets see whether on E3, a new Metro will be showcased.

grompz
    grompz

@charcharo 121140 wrote:

It and the movie – TLOU

When it comes to video games like TLOU, I wonder: does this game would meet the same success 15 years ago?

Back to the topic; Goat Simulator is also a love-hate game, due to it’s both silly and pointless nature.

grompz
    grompz

So, yeah, a little udapte.

I think Doom 3 definitely splits the community because of the nature of the gameplay, I haven’t played it, but I believe it’s quite different from the fast-paced Doom.

I think Skyrim, while receiving an overall positive sentiment definitely splits the ‘purists’ from the rest of the gaming community, Morrowind is often compared to Skyrim. Since I haven’t played Morrowind, I can’t tell how much different those games are, but a lot of players don’t like the sandbox nature of Skyrim as far as I know.
    In my opinion, the size of the map, the details, the exploration and the large amount of gameplay possibilities balance the average dialogue, Fedex quests and forgetable main story. That being said, it’s still have some degree of roleplay, NPCs definitely take account your previous actions and change their attitude if you act against them, just listen to the guards commenting about your affiliation with the dark brotherhood, the thief guild progression or weeding massacre. By the way, it has a quite interactive world, NPC will comment your nudist behaviour, if you sneak around, they will tell you to keep your hands to yourself etc… Lots of NPC also have a daily routine, I suggest that you look at Maven Blackbriar routine (when she is not on the throne). However, my main complaint is that the game is not enough punishing about your choices in my opinion, for example merchants will still accept to trade with you even if you have acted against them before, I have an overall ‘almighty’ feeling in this game, which is not really a good thing in my opinion for an RPG, so you have to set rules yourself (or maybe install some mods?) in order to have a more satisfaying roleplaying experience.

Mass Effect 3 is a bit like that, but for stupid reasons, people bash this 40~60 hours experience for a questionable rushed 5 minutes ending. That’s… I don’t know, that’s very silly.

The first Witcher is also a love-hate affair, mainly because of the combat system.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

You Might Also Like