Windows 7 Upgrade p...

Notifications
Clear all

Windows 7 Upgrade pack for new Motherboard?

Devil Dogs SF
(@devil-dogs-sf)
Trusted

Could I use the upgrade pack of Windows 7 to boot my PC from when I install my new Motherboard? I don't want to buy the full version of 7 for a clean install and would just like to upgrade my Vista without losing my stuff after I've installed the Motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116713&cm_re=Microsoft_Windows_7_Home_Premium-_-32-116-713-_-Product

PS: The Vista Home Premium 32 Bit I currently have installed is the copy that came with the original Gateway PC, however it wasn't pre-installed if I remember correctly. Hopefully this isn't an issue?

Topic starter Posted : 15/12/2010 5:16 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

Yes but it's still $100. :p

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/12/2010 5:30 pm
Devil Dogs SF
(@devil-dogs-sf)
Trusted

Yeah, expensive 🙁

Anyway, does anyone know? I'd like to be 100% sure before I make purchases of anything.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/12/2010 11:15 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

I really don't think the upgrade pack will work for a clean install. I think it uses some of the core files from Vista. I could be wrong though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/12/2010 12:12 am
Devil Dogs SF
(@devil-dogs-sf)
Trusted

That's not too bad then. It would work on a copy I got with my original Gateway PC though, right?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/12/2010 12:23 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

@strudinox 52075 wrote:

I really don't think the upgrade pack will work for a clean install. I think it uses some of the core files from Vista. I could be wrong though.

He doesn't want to do a clean install, read his post. He's asking if it will work with Vista basically and won't have to reinstall his stuff.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/12/2010 1:59 pm
Devil Dogs SF
(@devil-dogs-sf)
Trusted

And also if Upgrade pack will work for a new Motherboard install.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/12/2010 2:18 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

with new motherboard, it's kind of a hit or miss on if you have to reinstall windows. In some cases, windows doesn't seem too bothered by it, in others, there are a constant set of errors. Most of these errors are driver related. So if you upgrade windows during a motherboard swap, that will likely work because windows will have to reconfigure all it's drivers anyways.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/12/2010 7:58 pm
stevebucknor1
(@stevebucknor1)
Padawan

with new motherboard, it's kind of a hit or miss on if you have to reinstall windows. In some cases, windows doesn't seem too bothered by it, in others, there are a constant set of errors. Most of these errors are driver related. This is the thing to remember for it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2011 1:57 am
Share: