Windows 7 OEM versu...

Notifications
Clear all

Windows 7 OEM versus Retail

Devil Dogs SF
(@devil-dogs-sf)
Trusted

I have a question that I can't find the answer to about Windows 7 OEM.

I know OEM has no support, no fancy case, and I can't install on another computer, but I can't find out anywhere if OEM Windows 7 creates that Windows.old folder so I can get old files out of it like Retail does.

If anyone knows I'd appreciate it.

Topic starter Posted : 11/01/2011 2:46 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

I'm running OEM and I'm almost positive it does. I installed windows on my old HD when I first got 7 and I think I remember it putting the old copy of Vista in a windows.old folder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2011 2:48 pm
Devil Dogs SF
(@devil-dogs-sf)
Trusted

Thanks for quick reply. 😀

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/01/2011 2:52 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

The windows.old folder contains everything from your past version of Windows correct?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2011 2:52 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

I'm 90% sure. Let me double check.

EDIT: I found this oneline:

What is Windows.old folder: Windows.old is a folder created by Windows when you choose custom installation. This folder contains the files, folders and drivers from previous windows version. See Andre’s tutorial on custom installation. The one major benefits of windows.old folder is that you can restore windows to previous version of windows Installation anytime. Please see Microsoft’s guide to restore to previous version of windows Installation. One important thing about Windows.old is that you will get this folder only when you choose custom installation without formatting hard drive and install windows 7 on same drive where previous version of window is installed.

So assume it's everything from your previous installation.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2011 3:03 pm
Devil Dogs SF
(@devil-dogs-sf)
Trusted

Awesome, thanks again. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/01/2011 3:14 pm
Joe
 Joe
(@joe)
Assended

If you use the "upgrade" version to upgrade from Vista, you'll have a Windows.old folder in there too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2011 3:15 pm
Devil Dogs SF
(@devil-dogs-sf)
Trusted

I have OEM Vista currently, and will be replacing my Motherboard, so my only option is a clean install, unfortunately.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/01/2011 3:58 pm
johanz
(@johanz)
Padawan

@Devil Dogs SF 55762 wrote:

I have OEM Vista currently, and will be replacing my Motherboard, so my only option is a clean install, unfortunately.

Hmm? I got a new pc, plugged in the old HDD and then just installed win7 on top. I had the win.old folder and everything.
Yes I used oem

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2011 8:51 pm
Share: