Who is good with Internet Connections?  

Page 1 / 2 Next
  RSS
iGeForce
(@igeforce)
Guru

So, basically I'm looking for someone that knows how to deal with wireless connections in Win7.
The problem is that if my friend tries to connect to his router, it connects, but it says 'Limited Acces' or something like that. He can't use internet or anything then. I found lots of people online who had thesame problem, and they found solutions, but it was all so complicated I couldn't really understand 😕
So I'm hoping one of you guys can give me a simple solution cause I don't know anything decent about connections 😳

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2010 2:59 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

What have you done so far? It sounds like the router is having trouble accuiring it's DHCP information from your ISP. Or more likely his computer isn't getting supplied DHCP info from the router. Try this:

Start type "CMD" and open command prompt.

Type: "ipconfig /release"

once it's done then type "ipconfig /renew" (without quotes of course)

This will refresh the DHCP. Also try resetting the router if you haven't already.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2010 3:04 pm
iGeForce
(@igeforce)
Guru

Wait a sec, do I have to do that on his new pc or on the pc downstairs where the router is located?
And how do you reset the router? You mean just pulling out the wires and stuff?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2010 3:19 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

Try turning it off and back on first. resetting it will reset all your settings like wireless, so do that as a last resort. As far as the ipconfig and all that, run that on the computer having the issues.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2010 3:36 pm
Joe
 Joe
(@joe)
Assended

Dunno if you've tried this, but right click on the little wireless icon and do "Diagnose and Repair" or whatever the Win7 equivalent is. Sometimes that fixes minor problems.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2010 3:40 pm
wierdo124
(@wierdo124)
Jedi

@strudinox 30541 wrote:

Try turning it off and back on first. resetting it will reset all your settings like wireless, so do that as a last resort. As far as the ipconfig and all that, run that on the computer having the issues.

No. Only a hard reset will do that. I've never had to do a hard reset. I usually just go into 192.168.1.1, hit reboot. I'm running a Tomato 54GL though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2010 3:59 pm
iGeForce
(@igeforce)
Guru

Well, if nothing works, how do I reset it then?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2010 5:32 pm
flamers
(@flamers)
Ninja

OR 192.168.1.254

thats for my router

its 99% chance of being an internal IP conflict 🙂

Flamers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2010 4:02 am
iGeForce
(@igeforce)
Guru

@flamers 30620 wrote:

OR 192.168.1.254

thats for my router

its 99% chance of being an internal IP conflict 🙂

Flamers

By why would I need your router adress for my friends connection :/?
I don't get it 😯

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2010 4:21 am
flamers
(@flamers)
Ninja

so you can go in and change the internal ip of the computer?

Flamers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2010 5:09 am
iGeForce
(@igeforce)
Guru

Dude, I know shit about internet connections... :tongue:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2010 8:34 am
iGeForce
(@igeforce)
Guru

Ok guys, I solved it today. This is basically what I tried:
Disconnecting and reconnecting wires -> Fail
Typing the code Strud gave me -> Fail, I had this errors that it couldn't find an adress to do it on.
Then we brought the PC down, and put it next to the router -> Win, we had wireless connection.
BUT ofcourse we couldn't leave the PC there, so we put it back in his room, and we had thesame problem again.
So, we thought is was because of the distance between the router and his pc.
But then, he said it worked fine with his laptop.
And that is when I started thinking about resetting.
When you guys said it I thought it was something with software and that you had to type codes to reset.
But then I figgered out it was just a button on the router.
So we did that, and we reconfigured the router with my friend's pc, giving him full access.
And the PC downstairs is connected by wire, so everyone has internet ^^
Thanks to all of your responses and rep to all of you 😀

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2010 11:13 am
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

Glad you got it all worked out!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2010 1:04 pm
wierdo124
(@wierdo124)
Jedi

Glad to hear. Yeah every time i've had an internet issue (usually after we lose power, or internet access for a brief time) and the router gets confused and internets no worky, i just go in and reset the router. Works.

Also, flamers, that's your IP. 192.168.1.1 is the same for everyone..that's everyone's router's IP. I type it, it goes to my router. You type it, it goes to yours.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2010 8:41 pm
flamers
(@flamers)
Ninja

it doesnt, it depends on the router model

wierdo: http://compnetworking.about.com/od/workingwithipaddresses/f/getrouteripaddr.htm

hehe, win 🙂

Flamers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2010 3:35 am
Page 1 / 2 Next
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register