Notifications
Clear all

Corsair H50

Spartan
(@spartan)
Ninja

Thinking of investing this instead of air as my airflow is quite bad at the moment.
Can this be modded to work with my GTX480?
Does it void my Warranty on my PSU/GPU etc.
Do you recommend this or air?

Thanks Gurus ;D

Edit: Just realized this wasn't Water Cooled, FML! Facepalm :>

Topic starter Posted : 08/12/2010 3:45 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

It's a no maintenance CPU cooler, compatible with Intel sockets LGA 775, LGA 1156, LGA 1366 and AMD sockets AM2/AM2+ and AM3. It won't do anything to the airflow in your chassis really. It is mounted to a 120mm fan mount. Can you mod it to your GTX 480? I'm sure you can, but you'd have to drill some mounting holes for it, voiding the warranty of both the GTX 480 and H50.

You should just get an aftermarket cooler compatible with the GTX 480. The Thermalright Shaman is the best, not to mention the fan's max noise rating is 21 DBA. But it covers 4 expansion slots. Remember they sell a compatible VRM cooler too - the VRM-G2. But this is only necessary for very high overclocks, for which you'd want an 80mm x 25mm fan to go with it.

I have a GTX 480 (which I overclock vigorously) and I have a Thermalright Shaman + Thermalright VRM-G2 + Delta 120mm x 25mm fan (4000 RPM/150 CFM/56 DBA/12.43 mmH20) + Panaflo U1 80mm x 25mm fan on the way. I will post results, but not a review. tWkR has the review part under control.

Some air coolers do a better job than the H50, primarily under heavy loads (around 200W or so). For high heat loads like this (highly overclocked quad core processors or greater), you'll want high pressure fans as well as a heat sink with a good heat transfer rate and heat dissipation capacity. You can refer to this thread for the basics of CPU air cooling.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/12/2010 3:53 pm
Spartan
(@spartan)
Ninja

This is what i meant, but thanks for the advice 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/12/2010 3:57 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

A "real" water cooling setup like that requires much research before you invest in anything. Once you have the research and the parts, you'll soon find out it requires even more patience and time. After setting up a water cooling loop, you must do leak testing for hours. This is usually done without vital components in a PC just in case something actually does leak. Maintenance is required for water cooling as well - draining and refilling the loop every 6 months is recommended.

There are a ton of guides listed under the Water Cooling section here which you must read if you wish to have a water cooled PC.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/12/2010 4:01 pm
Spartan
(@spartan)
Ninja

Think i'll just stick with your Air Cooling guide 😀

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/12/2010 12:55 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator