Notifications
Clear all

Getting an i5 750 to 4.0Ghz

Page 1 / 2
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

Ok, so I got some new RAM for Christmas, 8GB DDR3 2000mzh to be specific.
Now I'm trying to get back to my previous overclock of 4.0ghz, but I'm not having any luck...3.8ghz is stable, but once I set it to 4.0, any "CPU intensive" application will make my PC Bluescreen, such as starting a game or doing something on Itunes...
I have Vcore at 1.35, CPU VTT at 1.225, CPU PLL at 1.820, Base Clock at 191 and Multiplier at 21(now on 20, I'm at 3.8Ghz atm.)
So what am I doing wrong exactly? Could anyone help me out, give me some tips on how to get to 4.0 or possible 4.2? I feel I'm doing some stupid mistake and its easier than I think. 😯

Thanks in advance d00ds.

Topic starter Posted : 25/12/2010 7:22 pm
BabyBalla
(@babyballa)
Guru

woah. Too much voltages is my guess

vcore at 1.3
vtt at 1.32?
multi at 20 x 200
ram losen the timings a bit and increase the voltages

Slowly drop the vcore until stable or raise.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/12/2010 7:26 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

No luck...:(

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/12/2010 7:40 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

Overclocking guide?

http://www.gnd-tech.com/main/content/362-P55-Overclocking-Guide

If raising the VCore shows no improvement, raise the CPU VTT. Your CPU VTT is very low.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/12/2010 9:06 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

I was looking for a little more straight forward answer since you have almost the exact same CPU as me, Jester. What do you have everything set at?

Also, another thing I noticed, when I set my CPU to 4.0ghz, it messes up my RAM timings, sets them to 7-7-7-20, when they should be 9-10-9-27. I can set them manually, but they don't stay if I set it to 4.0, but if I set my CPU to 3.8, they stay...I'm confused...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/12/2010 9:46 am
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

Meh, just set them manually. I don't tell people my voltages unless they have the same CPU batch as me, otherwise they think my settings will work for them when they probably won't. Go to 4.0 GHz and increase VCore to see if there is any stability improvement. If you can't stabilize it strictly with VCore increase (likely) then increase CPU VTT to the next increment.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/12/2010 4:20 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

I do set them manually, but when I OC to 4.0 they go back to 7-7-7-20...
So lets say Vcore is at 1.3, VTT at 1.34 and PLL on Auto(1.810), I should try raising Vcore until its stable, what is the maximum I should raise it to? My VTT is at the max my motherboard says is "safe".

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/12/2010 4:23 pm
Darken1
(@darken1)
Jedi

I don't have your same system but you changed the ram, i would start by making sure the ram is stable.
If you populate all your dimms is going to be harder to get it stable, i would start by going back to stock setting and trying to get the ram to the highest stable speed.
Then once you find how high your ram goes start rasing your CPU clocks keeping the ram at that stable speed or lower.
I have 2000Mhz ram and i run it at lower speeds to stay stable.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/12/2010 10:20 am
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

My RAM is at 2000mhz, that's what it came as.
I don't really know how to tell if its my CPU or RAM thats unstable, but I think my RAM is stable.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/12/2010 2:58 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

Darken1 brought up a good point - are you populating all DIMMs on your motherboard? This limits overclocking quite severely if you're air cooling. Run your RAM at its rated speed - since you have 2000 MHz RAM and you're trying for 4.0 GHz, set the RAM divider to 2:10 (2000 MHz) and use its official timings and voltage. To test for RAM stability, run Memtest86+ but if you're running it at its rated specs, then the CPU is what is unstable unless the RAM is DOA. For CPU stress testing run IntelBurnTest or LinX for 20 passes on maximum stress.

Keep CPU VCore and CPU VTT below 1.40v. My overclocking guide covers all of this.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/12/2010 3:20 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

I'm using 2 DIMMs you know that Jester, you told me what RAM to buy. :p
If my RAM was DOA...I wouldn't be on my computer right now. I'm using the official speeds and timings, I've messed around with a bunch of options for VTT and Vcore.
I'm asking you, what do you think would be good to set them to, I really don't have the time to put in 1 number intervals and waiting 10 mins if its not stable for my computer to stop restarting. So, again, what would YOU recommend I put them at since you have a similar CPU, Jester.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/12/2010 4:32 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

My recommended starting point for CPU VTT and VCore for voltages that high is 1.30v for each, like my guide says. If it isn't stable, work up one increment at a time with VCore looking for improvement. If you see an improvement at a certain point, but can't quite get it stable, then leave the VCore at where you see the improvement and move VTT to the next increment. If there is no improvement, start with a VTT increase.

This is how overclocking works. Every CPU will need its own voltages. Your CPU is not only a different batch than mine but it is a different CPU.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/12/2010 4:37 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

Alright, thank you. Now I have an idea where to start.
What would you say for Base Clock and multiplier? 200x20 or 191x21? Does it make a difference?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/12/2010 5:11 pm
Darken1
(@darken1)
Jedi

Having memory rated at 2000Mhz does not mean is going to run stable at that speed specially when you overclocking the CPU.
I can rum my ram at 2000Mhz all stock settings but not when i OC to 4.2

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/12/2010 5:25 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

My RAM only runs at 2000Mhz when I get to 4.0, all other cases it runs at 1910mhz. Not a big difference.
Just a note on RAM, what a difference it makes, my FPS in all games is so much more stable now, especially OA, high 50s-60s almost all the time now, I love it, even with my CPU only at 3.0 and GPU un-overclocked.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/12/2010 7:15 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: