Notifications
Clear all

Bad Company 2 Onslaught mode

AnimalMother92
(@animalmother92)
Renound

I bought the Onslaught DLC today (coop mode). I'll write up a short review after I get a chance to play it. 🙂

Note: It's only available for PS3 atm

Review:

Price: $9.99
Available for: PS3, XBOX 360

battlefield-bad-company-2.jpg

Overview
Alright, so I've had a few days to play through this DLC on my PS3, and here are my impressions. What you get for your $10 is this new 'Onslaught' mode on 4 maps, which adds a 4 player cooperative mode to Bad Company 2. There are a handful of new Trophies/Achievements to collect (which are very straightforward, I got them all in one night of playing).

I've always liked coop in most games, so I figured this would be pretty fun. And for the most part it is. My initial impressions though were quite sour. I flipped on my PS3, headed for the PS Store and forked over my money for the download -- only to see that it was 100kb. Yeah...it's already bundled with the latest patch. You're just paying for the rights to unlock what's already on your HDD. That made me a tad unhappy, but I soldiered on and booted up the game.

Your menu will change slightly, as there is now a new tab to display, "Onslaught" sits to the right of "Multiplayer". So I selected that option, and found your typical match finding screen, where you can select your preferred map and difficulty. Sadly, it seemed "finding a game" was a massive challenge and I was forced to retreat from my TV yelling "Wolf 2, the firebase is lost" or something. Anyways, after the EA servers finished having a wank, I got put in a match with some highly skilled BF veterans complete morons. This made me remember one of the troubles with coop, you're very very dependent on having a good team, especially when there's only 4 people in a squad. In PvP, you can pretty much get away with doing your own thing and even have fun when your team is losing -- not so in Onslaught.

So I continued to play for a awhile, feeling rather let down. The maps are all the same as what you've played in Conquest or Rush, albeit with new, sexy lighting effects and changes to the time of day. Nelson Bay in day time is actually kind of cool, I'll admit. As for the gameplay, it's a mix between Conquest and Rush actually. Essentially you and your squadmates have a series of enemy held areas that you need to capture. Take care of one and the next area becomes unlocked (omg it's Rush!). But, DICE wanted to confuse you, so there are no MCOM stations, instead each base has a Russian flag which you dance around to convert into an American flag (omg it's Conquest!).

So far, not so good, right? Well that all changed when I switched the difficulty to "Hardcore" in the hopes of bagging some more trophies. I found myself in a match with 3 other guys that were actually communicating and playing tactically. My mind was blown. I actually had fun for a few hours while we duked it out with the (haxx0r) AI on all the maps. The forced teamwork felt really nice, with people calling out for a medic or ammo, and trying to reviving you. But then, as quickly as the awesomeness came, it was gone. 4 maps on Hardcore completed, what was left? According to the ever-helpful BC2 main menu, I could "replay each map trying to beat my best time with my friends". Cool story, bro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqg4LliU5w8&hd=1

So that was my experience with the Onslaught DLC, let me try and wrap it up by showcasing the good and bad points.

The Good
-The gameplay itself it really solid, it's Rush against AI basically
-Playing with good people on Hardcore makes you use teamwork and is a lot of fun when you win
-The gear: all that stuff you unlocked in MP can be used in Onslaught! Hell yes.

The Bad
-AI issues, you can see them spawn in front of you...c'mon!
-The enemy is always the same, so after one playthrough you know what's coming
-Relies on a person to host (non dedi) so expect lots of rage-quitting and being kicked to the main menu
-No incentive to play more, no new unlocks or any real meaning to your score
-Round length: 20 minutes for a game on Hardcore and there are only 4 maps.

The Ugly
It's already on your machine 😐

So essentially, there is no replay value. Granted, playing with your friends and trying new tactics will get you a few more hours out of, but there just isn't a lot of content. Honestly it feels very rushed and slapped together. Either it should have been on the disc or free. I would have paid $10 happily if there was more substantial content and a good reason to come back and play more.

I don't mean to rag on it too much, as the game is really fun (it's still BC2 so of course it's fun) but I don't recommend buying it given what you're getting for your money. Wait for a bundle pack with the inevitable expansions or hope that DICE expand the mode to make it more compelling.

-Animal

Topic starter Posted : 22/06/2010 5:47 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

Alright cool!
I'll promote it to article when your done making the review! 😀
I hope it's worth the money.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2010 5:59 pm
Joe
 Joe
(@joe)
Assended

DAAAM. I was saying to Enad (or was it Strud) that I wanted that out for PC.

A review would be great 🙂

+REP

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/06/2010 3:32 am
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

I hope they come out with this for PC soon. It seems like it would be a lot of fun.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/06/2010 8:00 am
Kew
 Kew
(@kew)
Renound

Hopefully my internet is working properly again on my computer by the time it (hopefully) comes out on PC.
Also, I'm back! (Until Friday, and then I'm back again on monday)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/06/2010 8:49 am
AnimalMother92
(@animalmother92)
Renound

Price: $9.99
Available for: PS3, XBOX 360

battlefield-bad-company-2.jpg

Overview
Alright, so I've had a few days to play through this DLC on my PS3, and here are my impressions. What you get for your $10 is this new 'Onslaught' mode on 4 maps, which adds a 4 player cooperative mode to Bad Company 2. There are a handful of new Trophies/Achievements to collect (which are very straightforward, I got them all in one night of playing).

I've always liked coop in most games, so I figured this would be pretty fun. And for the most part it is. My initial impressions though were quite sour. I flipped on my PS3, headed for the PS Store and forked over my money for the download -- only to see that it was 100kb. Yeah...it's already bundled with the latest patch. You're just paying for the rights to unlock what's already on your HDD. That made me a tad unhappy, but I soldiered on and booted up the game.

Your menu will change slightly, as there is now a new tab to display, "Onslaught" sits to the right of "Multiplayer". So I selected that option, and found your typical match finding screen, where you can select your preferred map and difficulty. Sadly, it seemed "finding a game" was a massive challenge and I was forced to retreat from my TV yelling "Wolf 2, the firebase is lost" or something. Anyways, after the EA servers finished having a wank, I got put in a match with some highly skilled BF veterans complete morons. This made me remember one of the troubles with coop, you're very very dependent on having a good team, especially when there's only 4 people in a squad. In PvP, you can pretty much get away with doing your own thing and even have fun when your team is losing -- not so in Onslaught.

So I continued to play for a awhile, feeling rather let down. The maps are all the same as what you've played in Conquest or Rush, albeit with new, sexy lighting effects and changes to the time of day. Nelson Bay in day time is actually kind of cool, I'll admit. As for the gameplay, it's a mix between Conquest and Rush actually. Essentially you and your squadmates have a series of enemy held areas that you need to capture. Take care of one and the next area becomes unlocked (omg it's Rush!). But, DICE wanted to confuse you, so there are no MCOM stations, instead each base has a Russian flag which you dance around to convert into an American flag (omg it's Conquest!).

So far, not so good, right? Well that all changed when I switched the difficulty to "Hardcore" in the hopes of bagging some more trophies. I found myself in a match with 3 other guys that were actually communicating and playing tactically. My mind was blown. I actually had fun for a few hours while we duked it out with the (haxx0r) AI on all the maps. The forced teamwork felt really nice, with people calling out for a medic or ammo, and trying to reviving you. But then, as quickly as the awesomeness came, it was gone. 4 maps on Hardcore completed, what was left? According to the ever-helpful BC2 main menu, I could "replay each map trying to beat my best time with my friends". Cool story, bro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqg4LliU5w8&hd=1

So that was my experience with the Onslaught DLC, let me try and wrap it up by showcasing the good and bad points.

The Good
-The gameplay itself it really solid, it's Rush against AI basically
-Playing with good people on Hardcore makes you use teamwork and is a lot of fun when you win
-The gear: all that stuff you unlocked in MP can be used in Onslaught! Hell yes.

The Bad
-AI issues, you can see them spawn in front of you...c'mon!
-The enemy is always the same, so after one playthrough you know what's coming
-Relies on a person to host (non dedi) so expect lots of rage-quitting and being kicked to the main menu
-No incentive to play more, no new unlocks or any real meaning to your score
-Round length: 20 minutes for a game on Hardcore and there are only 4 maps.

The Ugly
It's already on your machine 😐

So essentially, there is no replay value. Granted, playing with your friends and trying new tactics will get you a few more hours out of, but there just isn't a lot of content. Honestly it feels very rushed and slapped together. Either it should have been on the disc or free. I would have paid $10 happily if there was more substantial content and a good reason to come back and play more.

I don't mean to rag on it too much, as the game is really fun (it's still BC2 so of course it's fun) but I don't recommend buying it given what you're getting for your money. Wait for a bundle pack with the inevitable expansions or hope that DICE expand the mode to make it more compelling.

-Animal

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/06/2010 10:57 pm
WASD
 WASD
(@wasd)
Pirate

any word for the pc version of this?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2010 10:49 am
Share: