S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.  

Page 19 / 19
  RSS
Charcharo
(@charcharo)
Member Moderator

STALKER Anomaly writeup/discussion
So I've been playing Anomaly and it's been really, really fun. It managed to take away the unfairness of Last Day while still preserving the difficult feel. Keep in mind, the creator tailored the mod in accordance with his gameplay preferences, some of which may not exactly be up your alley.

Here are some things I noticed:

1)The game runs smoother than LD and looks really good. It's on a 64 bit engine, and it shows (eats more RAM, but runs nicer).

2) The Zone is more desolate. There aren't as many people walking around, so you might not get the opposition you're used to from your usual CoC/LD (for example, only one Freedomer was at the Radar entrance from the Army Warehouses).

3) The economy is more balanced. The quest rewards have been increased, for example fetching guns for other stalkers gives significantly more money (25k for an AKM). Other quests give around 15k. The gun quest money reward might be a tiiiny bit over the top, but it's not realistic that stalkers pay you 2k for a gun like in LD, while the same gun is sold for 60k at any trader.

4) Most stalkers drop guns in decent condition as well as suits. Suits have a special disguise mechanic now which I'll get into in a bit.

5) There are occasional crashes, some on loading, some upon killing certain NPC's, but don't occur too often. Crashes and STALKER come together in a pack anyway...

6)Sprinting speed is back to the regular gotta go fast, and carry capacity is around 100kg. Getting close to the limit will not impact your energy as much as it does in LD.

Most of the usual LD stuff is still there, so no complexity was sacrificed.

The disguise mechanic

So, this is a thing that I've noticed that changes the flow of the game significantly, for better or for worse. Putting on a suit of a specific faction (which you'll find on pretty much most enemies you kill) will change your allignment for the duration of you wearing it. For example,if you put on a Freedom suit as a Duty member, you can forget about walking back into Rostok. This doesn't work for heavily damaged suits however.

This mechanic resulted in me killing a couple of Monolith at the Radar, walking back behind a concrete block, putting on their suit, walking past all of my new Monolith buddies and disabling the Brain Scorcher.

Killing your new 'friends' while under disguise counts as killing friendlies and will impact your reputation negatively. This ended with me seeing a Monolith with a nice looking sniper, putting my military suit on in order not to lose reputation for the murder, killing him and hiding again to change clothes and reestablish myself as a Monolithian.

Disabling the Brain Scorcher and walking out of the underground with all of my Monolith 'buddies' sitting in corners waiting for the infidel to come out was, frankly, hilarious.

I picked this mechanic specifically for some more talking because it impacts the game very much and I'm still torn on whether I like it or not. It makes sense to blend in with other factions, in their own suit, but it also makes some parts of the game (namely this whole Brain Scorcher Monty Python shit) pretty trivial.

One other thing I'd like to mention is that I wasn't keen on the Brotherhood Of Steel armor from Fallout, that some Mercs in the Book Store had, but like I said, it's the modder's preferences. We'relivinginhisworld.

All in all, the creator did some tremendous work. The mod is something you should definitely try if you want it to be difficult, but not fucked up levels of difficult regular LD offers. It feels great, runs great and makes for a very fun and enjoyable STALKER experience.

Have any of you guys tried it? What are your thoughts on it?

By user camarilla

STALKER Anomaly writeup/discussion from stalker

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2018 2:51 pm
Charcharo
(@charcharo)
Member Moderator

Dead Air overview by the Russian community. Use translate you plebs I aint translating this one...

But damn it looks good.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/06/2018 6:37 am
Charcharo
(@charcharo)
Member Moderator

STALKER: Dead Air has been released.

By Al's gaming.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2018 7:52 am
Page 19 / 19
Share: