Deus Ex - GMDX v9.0 mod released  

RSS
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

GMDX, or Give Me Deus Ex, calls itself, "The Definitive Deus Ex Experience" and even the extremely nostalgic classic Deus Ex fanbase which is strongly opposed to change supports this sentiment. GMDX is a large scale overhaul for Deus Ex, improving every aspect of the game. Version 9.0 represents a major feature release for the mod, which has long been accepted as the definitive version of Deus Ex.

A brief overview of the feature list is as follows:

And much more. I am currently playing through GMDX 9.0.2 and have experienced no issues so far aside from DX10 mode being limited to 60 FPS (the new frame rate cap feature which operates in 1 FPS intervals does not seem to work in DX10), and the UI did not scale unless I run the game as an administrator, therefore I recommend running the game as an administrator. Also be sure to configure your settings in the launcher. I am not affiliated with this mod, I'm just a huge Deus Ex fan and this really does seem to be the definitive version of what I can now comfortably call the best game in this legendary franchise.

New to the Deus Ex franchise? I can recommend starting here, since Deus Ex is the first game in the series after all. Not everyone will agree with me but if you start with Deus Ex, I do suggest GMDX 9.0 on your first playthrough. It is flat out superior to the base game without serious content changes that would otherwise alter the experience. It is merely all-around improvement.

Comparison of the Deus Ex games except for Invisible War which I have not played yet.

Or you can start with Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut and go in chronological order (after which you would play Mankind Divided and then this). Mankind Divided will spoil a few potential surprises in Deus Ex however.

And don't be afraid of this game because of its age. This mod ensures that Deus Ex remains ahead of the competition. Most game creators need to take lesson from Deus Ex's writing and execution, and gameplay openness, attention to detail, and responsiveness. This is a game that is certain in what it wants to be, and is very tightly crafted as a result. Hardly any game can compare.

I am making an ongoing chart that compares GMDX to Revision. Both mods are outstanding, this is just for reference. It can be found here, and it is currently incomplete since I am not far in GMDX yet.

I would post my own screenshots but they come out oddly dark, so I am guessing the mod is using very different gamma settings than my desktop.

Advanced notes on forcing anti-aliasing through drivers

To get the most out of this game, users with high refresh rate monitors must use the DX9 renderer but hardly any (if any) visual quality is sacrificed. It should be possible for both NVIDIA and AMD users to easily force MSAA and SSAA into this game/mod, NVIDIA users can follow this guide (no AA compatibility bits needed).

Enabling Surround Sound

This game defaults to stereo by default, and GMDX doesn't change that. No way to enable true surround in the options, I believe the Dolby Digital option is just "5 channel stereo." To enable surround sound, you must enable "UseSurround" and disable "UseStereo" under "Galaxy.GalaxyAudioSubsystem" in Deus ExGMDXv9Systemgmdx.ini and also Deus ExSystemDeusEx.ini. Better yet, just copy this section below over yours if you plan to use surround sound.

[Galaxy.GalaxyAudioSubsystem]
UseDirectSound=True
UseFilter=True
UseSurround=True
UseStereo=False
UseCDMusic=False
UseDigitalMusic=True
UseSpatial=False
UseReverb=True
Use3dHardware=True
LowSoundQuality=False
ReverseStereo=False
Latency=60
OutputRate=44100Hz
EffectsChannels=16
DopplerSpeed=6500.000000
MusicVolume=204
SoundVolume=204
SpeechVolume=255
AmbientFactor=0.700000

The volume settings you can change of course. Use3dHardware (and perhaps UseReverb) will only work if you are using Creative ALchemy with this game (and it will only truly use hardware with an X-Fi sound card). I am not sure what "UseCDMusic" and "UseDigitalMusic" do, though I'm guessing they refer to different soundtracks or different versions of the soundtrack.[/spoiler]

Advanced Notes on Surround
[spoiler]An X-Fi sound card is also needed to get the most out of this game, as it uses DirectSound3D to provide more advanced positional audio via 3D HRTF. Creative ALchemy is needed to enable these effects, and it requires a Creative sound card (it works with most if not all Creative sound cards). But only X-Fi sound cards will use hardware acceleration while the others use software, and hardware leads to better sound quality at least in other games (games with more advanced sound than Deus Ex, so I cannot say with certainty that Deus Ex benefits from hardware acceleration).[/spoiler]

GMDX Official Website
GMDX ModDB page (Download the mod here)

[Galaxy.GalaxyAudioSubsystem]
UseDirectSound=True
UseFilter=True
UseSurround=True
UseStereo=False
UseCDMusic=False
UseDigitalMusic=True
UseSpatial=False
UseReverb=True
Use3dHardware=True
LowSoundQuality=False
ReverseStereo=False
Latency=60
OutputRate=44100Hz
EffectsChannels=16
DopplerSpeed=6500.000000
MusicVolume=204
SoundVolume=204
SpeechVolume=255
AmbientFactor=0.700000

The volume settings you can change of course. Use3dHardware (and perhaps UseReverb) will only work if you are using Creative ALchemy with this game (and it will only truly use hardware with an X-Fi sound card). I am not sure what "UseCDMusic" and "UseDigitalMusic" do, though I'm guessing they refer to different soundtracks or different versions of the soundtrack.

Advanced Notes on Surround

An X-Fi sound card is also needed to get the most out of this game, as it uses DirectSound3D to provide more advanced positional audio via 3D HRTF. Creative ALchemy is needed to enable these effects, and it requires a Creative sound card (it works with most if not all Creative sound cards). But only X-Fi sound cards will use hardware acceleration while the others use software, and hardware leads to better sound quality at least in other games (games with more advanced sound than Deus Ex, so I cannot say with certainty that Deus Ex benefits from hardware acceleration).

GMDX Official Website
GMDX ModDB page (Download the mod here)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2017 8:54 pm
Share:

You Might Also Like

Working

Please Login or Register