New Server  

  RSS
daskyizbloo
(@daskyizbloo)
Leveling Up

I swear, I'm done saying I'm building new PCs after this XD. I will put this link here and you can read it. It's ebay because I want to try building a PC from ebay, so why not now lol. Also: something I have learned from networking - ALWAYS name your servers, even if you only have one.

http://www.ebay.com/cln/pixeltechcomputers/zeppelinserver/241314624012

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2015 8:16 pm
daskyizbloo
(@daskyizbloo)
Leveling Up

Also, any idea for an OS with a GUI? I have Windows SBS 2008, but it is kind of dated. I am also willing to try a linux based one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2015 8:29 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

Learn not to use a GUI at least in a server environment. My newly built webserver less than 900MB of HD space for the OS (Centos7) and never uses more than 500MB of ram. It's a learning experience, but there's TONS of support out there for doing pretty much anything. No matter what you're using the server for, it will always perform better with more CPU and RAM overhead.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2015 1:37 pm
daskyizbloo
(@daskyizbloo)
Leveling Up

I can use command line, I just prefer gui. We have been learning command line OSs on and off for like the last 2 years lol.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2015 5:34 pm
daskyizbloo
(@daskyizbloo)
Leveling Up

I may have found a copy of server 2012

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2015 5:35 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

What are you planning on doing with the server?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2015 7:49 am
daskyizbloo
(@daskyizbloo)
Leveling Up

@strudinox 120864 wrote:

What are you planning on doing with the server?

Backup, website, and email. Also an environment for learning server 2012.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2015 5:39 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

I haven't tried 2012. My MC server runs Server 2008 which is alright. Pretty much a shelled out version of W7 with some extra network tools I don't use lol. ๐Ÿ™‚

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2015 6:18 pm
daskyizbloo
(@daskyizbloo)
Leveling Up

@strudinox 120868 wrote:

I haven't tried 2012. My MC server runs Server 2008 which is alright. Pretty much a shelled out version of W7 with some extra network tools I don't use lol. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have server 08 R2, but if I can get 2012, why not try newer.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2015 3:30 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

@daskyizbloo 120871 wrote:

@strudinox 120868 wrote:

I haven't tried 2012. My MC server runs Server 2008 which is alright. Pretty much a shelled out version of W7 with some extra network tools I don't use lol. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have server 08 R2, but if I can get 2012, why not try newer.

Makes sense to me! I'd upgrade but the downtime would be too great....

It's working fine so I'm not too worried ๐Ÿ˜€

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2015 6:00 pm
daskyizbloo
(@daskyizbloo)
Leveling Up

@strudinox 120872 wrote:

@daskyizbloo 120871 wrote:

@strudinox 120868 wrote:

I haven't tried 2012. My MC server runs Server 2008 which is alright. Pretty much a shelled out version of W7 with some extra network tools I don't use lol. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have server 08 R2, but if I can get 2012, why not try newer.

Makes sense to me! I'd upgrade but the downtime would be too great....

It's working fine so I'm not too worried ๐Ÿ˜€

If it ain't broke don't fix it. :laugh:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2015 6:37 pm
daskyizbloo
(@daskyizbloo)
Leveling Up

Now that I think about it, I have been trying linux for a while. OSX is based on linux and freeBSD. I have been using OSX regularly for about a year and a half now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2015 8:46 am
daskyizbloo
(@daskyizbloo)
Leveling Up

Since my sister is a student at Sam Houston State University I get software for free through Microsoft DreamSpark :wheee:. Windows Server 2012 R2 here I come...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/10/2015 6:49 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

LOL I did the same thing when I was a student ๐Ÿ˜€

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/10/2015 11:06 am
Share:

You Might Also Like

  
Working

Please Login or Register