It's alive ! FRANKE...

Notifications

It's alive ! FRANKENST3IN comes to life.  

RSS
Lhotse
(@lhotse)
Guru

well campers, the day.....and my PSU, 100 ft ethernet cable and Belkin surge protector, has finally arrived and Lord Warcraft, Irish Pat and myself finally started the big build on my, what was initially a '$1000. budget' PC tonight. 😀

t3h rig:

Cooler Master Haf X case
extra Cooler Master Megaflow 200 mm fan for the optional fan space in the top of the case
ASUS M4A89TD PRO Series mobo
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban CPU
Corsair H100 liquid CPU cooling unit
Logisys cold cathode blue light tubes x 2
Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (4x4) DDR3 12800/1600 ram
OCZ XTC Cooler 2 ram cooling unit
evga GTX 580 3078 MB GPU
OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB SSD
Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5 TB HDD
Plextor PX-B940SA BD/DVD optical drive
Windows 7 Professional
OCZ ZX Series 1250w 80 plus Gold PSU
ASUS VG236 23" 120 hz LCD 3D monitor w/ nVidia 3D glasses and transmitter 😎
Logitech G19 gaming keyboard
and the coup de grace..... a new Cyborg R.A.T. 7 gaming mouse.

how much over budget am i ? actually i'm still in denial about all that and trying not to dwell on such things but what i do know is i'm one happy guy. we started the build tonight and got as far as getting most of the wiring hooked up. i recall the 'cable management' thread we had and seeing ana3mic's uber-clean wiring job and i bought the braided sleeving kit from Xoxide because that's what i'm after.
i'll be damned if i can get my CPU connecter behind the wall like he did though. i just don't have the space to snake it through to the back of the panel. as it is, i had to take off the GPU and run it behind a slot thats cut out of the back left side and run it down the side of the mobo to the PSU and i'm quite surprised given how many extra cables i got w/ the PSU and the fancy nylon bag to store them all in, that i had to use adaptors for the 8 and 6 pin GPU connections.
well, that's all for now. any advise on the dual drives and booting it up w/ Win 7 would be appreciated.
( i know i have to leave the HDD disconnected while i load the OS to the SSD )
i'll post pics of it when it's finished and thanks so much to all who have helped me w/ my stupid questions since i started this project a while back.
-Llotse 😉

Posted : 30/08/2011 11:31 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

Whoot! Can't wait to see it all together 😀 Nice choice on the case too. But man, holy overkill on the PSU though. 😯 Are you planning on running Tri-SLI eventually? If not you can save some money by knocking it down to a 1000W or even an 850W of the same lineup.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2011 12:39 am
Lhotse
(@lhotse)
Guru

i have no reason to change anything, my electric bill is included in my rent. 😀
also, my GTX 580 has a 600 watt MINIMUM requirement just for the GPU,( it's pretty straightforward about that in the manual) so 850 w's would be cutting it a bit on the lean side and likely cause me problems down the road, so that's what i bought, it's installed and that's what gonna power it. better to go heavy i believe than take chances after all i've put into it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2011 1:31 am
ana3mic
(@ana3mic)
Renound

Pics or it didn't happen :tongue:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2011 11:31 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

@Llotse 84757 wrote:

also, my GTX 580 has a 600 watt MINIMUM requirement just for the GPU,( it's pretty straightforward about that in the manual) so 850 w's would be cutting it a bit on the lean side and likely cause me problems down the road, so that's what i bought, it's installed and that's what gonna power it. better to go heavy i believe than take chances after all i've put into it.

I went from a 1000Watt to an 850 and have only seen improvements, including slightly better temps. 850 is by far NOT cutting it short.

Also from your first post you said you got cable sleeves, most PSUs come with built in cable sleeves anyways so it probably won't even be worth the hassle of putting on extra cable sleeves, it just makes things alot harder to move around and what not.

Anyways very nice rig, full of overkill.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2011 6:15 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

@Llotse 84757 wrote:

That 600W recommendation is for a whole system powering a GTX 580. A GTX 580 alone peaks at like 250W or maybe a little bit less. You can run an overclocked GTX 580 SLI rig on a good 850W PSU safely.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2011 6:36 pm
Lhotse
(@lhotse)
Guru

ok, i am NOT uninstalling a PSU, boxing it up and shipping it back to Amazon and buying a smaller one just so i can get a ..$20-30 credit. i don't even care is it's a $50. credit. i bought it, it's in and... that's my PSU. why do i care if it's more , even a LOT more than i need at this time ? the deal i got on Amazon was quite a surprise, as the 1250w was actually $20. cheaper than the 1000w because of a sale they had going on AND there's a $20. factory rebate. it cost me $189.+shipping.
we powered up for the first time tonight (insert BIG, HUGE smile here) and after engaging the core unlocker which.. duh.. unlocks all 6 cores and the turbo V o/c function switch's on the mobo, we had some bumps w/ the BIOS menu not seeing the SSD as the primary bootdrive but once we got past that we loaded the Win 7.
holy-jesus-tapdancing-christ ! after booting up on this laptop all this time, that OCZ Vertex 3 is like cable TV ! * click-bing ! * there it is, all done.
anyway, still have to drill through the floor to run my cat 5e ethernet cable to the router and start installing driver updates, the GPU, keybpoard, mouse dvd's etc.
so far, so good. the only glitch is that those damn cathode light tubes won't light up ! maybe i need a second PSU ? (kidding)
pic's will follow soon as well as updates.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/09/2011 12:12 am
Lhotse
(@lhotse)
Guru

this is my very first website log-in. no, this is not my laptop i'm posting with. :coolness:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2011 9:56 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

Whoot! Pics!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2011 10:24 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

@Llotse 84999 wrote:

ok, i am NOT uninstalling a PSU, boxing it up and shipping it back to Amazon and buying a smaller one just so i can get a ..$20-30 credit. i don't even care is it's a $50. credit. i bought it, it's in and... that's my PSU. why do i care if it's more , even a LOT more than i need at this time ? the deal i got on Amazon was quite a surprise, as the 1250w was actually $20. cheaper than the 1000w because of a sale they had going on AND there's a $20. factory rebate. it cost me $189.+shipping.
we powered up for the first time tonight (insert BIG, HUGE smile here) and after engaging the core unlocker which.. duh.. unlocks all 6 cores and the turbo V o/c function switch's on the mobo, we had some bumps w/ the BIOS menu not seeing the SSD as the primary bootdrive but once we got past that we loaded the Win 7.
holy-jesus-tapdancing-christ ! after booting up on this laptop all this time, that OCZ Vertex 3 is like cable TV ! * click-bing ! * there it is, all done.
anyway, still have to drill through the floor to run my cat 5e ethernet cable to the router and start installing driver updates, the GPU, keybpoard, mouse dvd's etc.
so far, so good. the only glitch is that those damn cathode light tubes won't light up ! maybe i need a second PSU ? (kidding)
pic's will follow soon as well as updates.

Oh no, I'm just eliminating false information. It's what I do. Glad your rig is working well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2011 10:57 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

It's what he does..don't you forget it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/09/2011 5:07 am
Lhotse
(@lhotse)
Guru

you were right, Sniper Ghost Warrior is crap.:D already uninstalled off my precious SSD. Clear Sky ?
Awesome. 😎
ss_scottie_09-05-11_14-25-49_escape.jpg
i'm waiting for my friend to come over to get her camera so she can load the pics off her card, so i can transfer them to my photobucket account. i'll post em asap.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2011 11:03 am
fiasco4738
(@fiasco4738)
New to GND-Tech

already uninstalled off my precious SSD. Clear Sky ?
Awesome.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/09/2011 4:46 am
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

Haha told you!

Test out Metro 2033 if you want a good benchmark, or better yet, ArmA 2, though I doubt you'll be able to get into that game.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/09/2011 6:13 am
Lhotse
(@lhotse)
Guru

omg....last night i loaded Metro 2033 off my Steam account and after playing a few minutes, i get to the top of the stairs and put my gas mask on, i said."hmmm...the gfx don't look that snazzy" so i clicked out and went to the menu and Steam had put them on 'Low', i said "oohhh nooo", clicked into the settings menu and ramped to 'Ultra High'. :coolness:
well.... there's this little timer on the screen that tells you when it's gonna take effect on Steam, 5...4...3...2...1 and......boom. the power in my entire house blinks off for about 1 entire second. 😯
so... back down to 'High', which is still uber cool but maybe i'm not seeing a few dust particles.:D

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/09/2011 8:59 am
Share: