eXile's File Server/Media PC Build  

Page 1 / 2 Next
  RSS
iiNNeX
(@iiNNeX)
GODLIKE

Yo homies, so I am building myself a File Server/Media PC for my home and this is what I have put together so far on my order list, let me know what you think should be changed if it doesn't look right:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core (4.1GHz boost)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Thermal Compound: Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme 3.5g
Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133
Storage:
1. Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB SSD
2. Seagate Constellation ES.3 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
3. Seagate Constellation ES.3 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
4. Seagate Constellation ES.3 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
5. Seagate Constellation ES.3 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

GPU: EVGA GT 210 1GB DDR3
Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer™ ATX Mid Tower
PSU: SeaSonic 400W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX

And then various Noctua fans around the case to improve airflow and have near silent operation.

That's all for now, let me know if something looks odd.

- eXile

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2015 7:57 am
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

Looks good, although that PSU is extreme overkill and you could spend a lot less (that thing is meant for a high end overclocked CPU and a Fury-X or Titan X).

I have to wonder if you'd be better off getting an Intel Haswell i3 dual core CPU instead. That AMD will only be better for heavily multithreaded applications.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2015 10:04 am
iiNNeX
(@iiNNeX)
GODLIKE

@Jester 120762 wrote:

Looks good, although that PSU is extreme overkill and you could spend a lot less (that thing is meant for a high end overclocked CPU and a Fury-X or Titan X).

I have to wonder if you'd be better off getting an Intel Haswell i3 dual core CPU instead. That AMD will only be better for heavily multi-threaded applications.

The PSU is overkill indeed, but seeing as it is extremely efficient and I found it at a great price, thought why not. Also it's somewhat future proof for when I upgrade the server for other uses/application.

I did look at the i3 and the dual core doesn't really cut it for me, even though single core performance is better on it, the AMD's 6 cores are a lot cheaper and as you said, it will handle multi-threaded apps a lot better, such as VMs.

Thanks for the advice ๐Ÿ™‚

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2015 10:31 am
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

It's a good setup, but some recommendations would be maybe going ITX? Dropping AMD and doing ITX would mean you wouldn't have to buy the aftermarket CPU cooler. That AMD would get extremely hot without one.

Lian Li makes some amazing, and extremely small ITX cases that would be perfect for a media PC. Easy to transport and being Lian Li, they're very well made and intuitive to build in.
Here are some awesome ITX options from Lian Li, and one from Corsair which I personally use.

LIAN LI PC-Q33WB Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

LIAN LI PC-Q03B Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

Corsair Obsidian Series 250D (CC-9011047-WW) Black Aluminum / Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

As Jester said, you REALLY don't need that PSU. Even for future proofing. Unless you one day plan on turning it into a high end gaming PC, a 430 or 450w will do just fine. I have a second gaming PC with a 430w and it runs an i5 and GTX 960. So even if you ever did turn it into something else, a 430w would be fine, and will save you money, especially helpful if you decide to go Intel, which I would.

You could also very likely find a cheaper 120GB SSD unless you really feel the need to have the best of the best in your media/server pc.
Another money saving thing would be to get cheaper RAM. If you're not gaming, you'e not gonna need 2133Mhz RAM. I'd go with 1866 for this type of build.

That's all I got for now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2015 12:09 pm
iiNNeX
(@iiNNeX)
GODLIKE

Thanks for the suggestions Enad, I have taken you upon some of them and made the required changes.

However I do love the case I chose, it is really cute (gayyyy) and I am actually now getting it in Blue (which is sort of purple in this case). The 250D and Corsair Air 240 were second choices.

I have changed the following on the build, and now it has become quite a bit cheaper too:

- Lowered the GPU to: EVGA GF GT 210 1GB DDR3 as the 730 was overkill for a media server.
- Lowered PSU to: SeaSonic X Series 400W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular Fanless ATX which will be even quieter too now as it is fanless ๐Ÿ™‚
- Lowered RAM to: 1866mhz, same RAM, saved ยฃ5.

Total build cost (apart from the WD Black HDD's which I already have) is: ยฃ377

Not Bad ๐Ÿ™‚

Edit: Look at this thing <3

BitFenix_Prodigy_Blue_02.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2015 1:07 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

Aw that's cute. And very uh, vivid.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2015 2:05 pm
Joe
 Joe
(@joe)
Assended

I have a Corsair Air 240 for my main build. I'd hate something that size for a media PC.

My media PC uses my old i5 2500k, old 8GB 1600 OCZ Ram and a 500GB HDD (Storage is an external 3TB Samsung Drive) in a small ITX (Sharkoon I think), powered by a 430w PSU.

I use Plex to cast to my devices (phone/tablet/chromecast) so a graphics card is unnecessary.

Not getting a modular power supply was my biggest regret!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2015 2:30 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

I currently am running an AMD Quad core in my Media server and hate it. It runs hot since it's on 24/7. Make power consumption a top priority. Looks good though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2015 8:20 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

@strudinox 120773 wrote:

I currently am running an AMD Quad core in my Media server and hate it. It runs hot since it's on 24/7. Make power consumption a top priority. Looks good though.

That's why we all recommended an Intel, but he already went ahead and bought it the AMD. Tried to warn him but he'll have to live with it now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2015 8:36 pm
iiNNeX
(@iiNNeX)
GODLIKE

My friend runs the 9590 black edition AMD 8 core CPU in his server, which boosts to 5ghz and runs at good temps on his stock cooler.

I recently gave him my old H100i and he said temps have never gone above 65C with the fans on quiet mode, so it can't be that bad seeing as I'm getting a processor that's running less cores and less Ghz.

It's all ordered now anyway, I will update the thread with pics and build process as it all comes ๐Ÿ™‚

- eXile

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/08/2015 2:37 am
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

@eXile 120778 wrote:

My friend runs the 9590 black edition AMD 8 core CPU in his server, which boosts to 5ghz and runs at good temps on his stock cooler.

I recently gave him my old H100i and he said temps have never gone above 65C with the fans on quiet mode, so it can't be that bad seeing as I'm getting a processor that's running less cores and less Ghz.

It's all ordered now anyway, I will update the thread with pics and build process as it all comes ๐Ÿ™‚

- eXile

An Intel doing similar processes would likely never go above 30c on an H100i.

My point is that the high idle temps aren't good for longevity, and I assume you're not gonna wanna be upgrading this thing often so that's why strudinox and myself recommended Intel. But you already bought this stuff so our words don't matter anymore.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/08/2015 6:20 am
iiNNeX
(@iiNNeX)
GODLIKE

@Enad 120781 wrote:

@eXile 120778 wrote:

- eXile

An Intel doing similar processes would likely never go above 30c on an H100i.

My point is that the high idle temps aren't good for longevity, and I assume you're not gonna wanna be upgrading this thing often so that's why strudinox and myself recommended Intel. But you already bought this stuff so our words don't matter anymore.

I highly doubt an intel i3 (which is what you can get for the price of this AMD) which is dual core to begin with, is going to stay at 30C at load, I really doubt it. Look I fully support intel, for all of my gaming machines I have never bought anything but i7s and i5s, but when it comes to performance per dollar, AMD wins hands down. And 60 degrees at load, will last many years, my old Athlon 64x ran hotter than that, on air, overclocked for most of its life and I swapped it out after 5 years of hardcore use (as i never really turn off my PCs).

But yeah as you said its already purchased, it was cheap yet effective and hence why i chose it. If I had a bit more money, I would of gone for an intel board and an older Xeon for ยฃ300, and wipe the floor with any AMD processor then, but the need for such power isn't there for a home file server, that might run a VM or two, maybe a TS server who knows, but even then...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/08/2015 8:52 am
iiNNeX
(@iiNNeX)
GODLIKE

Okay I have a small update, basically I was an idiot and looked at the pictures of the Bitfenix Prodigy ITX and not the Prodigy M when it came to storage, meaning that there arent any HDD cages in the Prodigy M. So I have cancelled the order for the micro ITX mobo, and ordered an MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ full ATX. The server will go in my old H440 Razer edition case I used for my main build previously, as that has 6 HDD spots, and a lot of fans on it already so it saves me some money, and saves me having to sell it.

Edit: NVM PSU is staying at 400W.

The hard drives also changed to 4x Seagate Constellation ES.3 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM ones (got them all for free, but they are ยฃ130 each, so saves me a good chunk of money).

The rest of the build is the same, although seeing as I have a bigger case now, I might put a fat noctua cooler on the CPU if it runs too hot with the EVO 212. I have updated the main post.

- eXile

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/08/2015 1:48 pm
iiNNeX
(@iiNNeX)
GODLIKE

Ok so an update to this. I've had the parts for a few weeks now but haven't actually had the chance or success of getting it all to work... Here is my problem:

I have 1 SSD which I want to use as boot, and 4 HDDs which I want to use in RAID 10. So how does one go about doing that, because whatever I try doesn't seem to work. I created my RAID 10 for my HDDs and all is well, in the RAID window (Ctrl + F on boot) I see all drives, including the SSD, which itself isn't in any raid. So when I put in the DVD to install Win Server 2008 R2, it doesn't see any drives at all. So I thought, okay then I must need the raid driver, so I put that on a USB stick and plugged it in. After detecting the RAID driver, it then found the 4 HDDs in RAID 10, but could not see the SSD?

I even tried putting the SSD in RAID Ready mode from the RAID set-up window, but no luck.

So what I tried then is to install the OS on the SSD, with all raid and ahci drivers. And then enable the raid to see if that worked. But when I do that, it just blue screens on boot up (after windows logo).

Help ๐Ÿ™

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/10/2015 10:49 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

You went about it the right way but that's strange that it's blue screening. But yeah, the 4 RAID drives should be set to RAID and the SSD to AHCI in BIOS. I know AHCI can cause problems with older OS's. Have you tried changing the SSD to IDE mode? It won't perform as well, but at least you'll know what's causing it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/10/2015 7:08 am
Page 1 / 2 Next
Share:

You Might Also Like

Working

Please Login or Register