Notifications
Clear all

OCZ Vertex II 120GB Review

Spaiker
(@spaiker)
Ninja

Hello all,

This is my review of the OCZ Vertex II. I've only used it for a couple of hours, so I can't write about long term usage. So here it goed 🙂

Photo when it still is in the package;

P1000338.jpg

Didn't take long to get it out 😆

Install - Speed of Windows 7
This amazed me at first. I think it installed as fast as my dvd drive could follow. I didn't time it but my guess it installed Windows 7 Professional in about 15 minutes, if not less. Then I mean installed and up and running of course.

ocz-vertex2-3.5-inch-new_12074.jpg

Reboot timings
This is also very dependant from cpu and ram, so I can only talk in my own case. CPU; Q8400 @ 3.2GHz (2.66GHz Standard, nice oc, no?) and 4GB 800MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Ram. I timed it with some chrono I have around here. To shut down it takes 4 seconds. To start up, it takes about 16 seconds (going thrue post, bios and all till after the login and password screen (I didn't count the time of me typing in the password - that would make 20 seconds). To completely reboot, it takes about 22 seconds.

Synthetic Benchmarks
For this, I used HDTune Pro latest Beta (Trial) and did a benchmark. I'm typing this on my laptop, so I don't have the screenshot of the Benchmark at hand but I know them from the top of my head :p
204MB/sec Read Speeds
196MB/sec Write Speeds
Acces Time: 0.145 ms
and a Burst rate of 245MB/sec
Pretty amazing according to me 😀

Took this screencap from another review:

vertex2readspeed.jpg

He almost has the same performance as me.

Other nice stuff
- You get a sticker saying; "My SSD is faster then your SSD" Pretty funny when I opened the box 😀
- This SSD is thin, if you would put 2 Vertex's on top of each other, you wouldn't reach the height of a normal Hard Drive.
- I bought this for about 180€, tha tis not cheap, but it is by far the best upgrade I've done in ages!

I will be adding pictures from the internet since my camera broke on me 😡

Topic starter Posted : 14/12/2010 1:18 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

That's a very fast drive. It's also a very expensive drive. I need an SSD...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/12/2010 2:05 pm
Spartan
(@spartan)
Ninja

Same, didn't realize they were THAT fast!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/12/2010 3:06 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

Jeez how much did you pay for that. I would love to have one of those.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/12/2010 4:06 pm
Darken1
(@darken1)
Jedi

Nice drive! i'll give it some time before i buy SSD's 😀

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/12/2010 4:59 pm
Samson
(@samson)
Ninja

Awesome speeds! And nice writeup. I still need to get me one. Someday.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/12/2010 11:58 pm
Share: