Notifications
Clear all

Google FAIL: thousands of GMAIL accounts lost  

RSS
poiZin
(@poizin)
Jedi

I wrote an article about this about 2 years ago, unfortunately I don't have access to it ATM or I would throw it up with a big I TOLD YOU SO. lol.. But yea, I highly advise everyone who uses any free email service to use an email client like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.

Link to full article: http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/02/gmail-fail/

Posted : 01/03/2011 7:09 am
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

Wow that really sucks for those who lost all their emails. First Hotmail, now the big G. I agree with using a client. It's easy and provides a backup. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/03/2011 12:15 pm
Lhotse
(@lhotse)
Guru

you know how i hate to gloat but......... i NEVER switched from my yahoo acct. despite getting my chops busted by countless friends in real life. like i was some n00b living in the stone age just because i had all my email set up w/ yahoo and saw no need to switch it all over to gmail/ hotmail or (insert email provider dejour here).
you woulda thought i was still using AOL or something to hear some of them. 😕
edit: and no i never downloaded Mozilla/Firefox either despite my friend Pat telling me i was an imbecile for using explorer. aaah hahahahaha.:tongue:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/03/2011 12:47 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

LOL if you were still using AOL, that would be major grounds for insults LOL 😀 :laugh:

Yahoo is kinda old school, but it's still a good mail provider.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/03/2011 1:04 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

Please tell me you aren't using IE still...?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/03/2011 1:28 pm
Lhotse
(@lhotse)
Guru

yea, i use the version 9 beta although i have it set up w/ iGoogle because i like my Yankee Stadium background shot from behind homeplate and the weather, clock/calender and top CNN news stories in one little box. i have Google Chrome too but i usually only use it when i'm shopping for something as the iGoogle/IE has a search window over the center field mezzanine.
why ? what do you use ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/03/2011 9:33 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

Chrome or Firefox lol.
IE is terribad.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/03/2011 9:50 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

+1 Firefox

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/03/2011 10:14 pm
Lhotse
(@lhotse)
Guru

@Enad 61180 wrote:

Chrome or Firefox lol.
IE is terribad.

why is it terribad ? details please. i'm not an uber-savvy person about this. i know it does what i want it to when i want it to and it does it quickly. i don't know what else i should expect of it. cars should be so good. girlfriends too for that matter but that's a whole other topic.
not so long ago i read about some problems w/ Firefox. also, whenever my friend Pat uses it (the one who was givin me 'the business' about not using Firefox), the damn thing takes a LOT longer to load up than my IE but he says that's because it's doing extra stuff. 'extra stuff' eh.........sounds like hooey to me. 😕
i dunno.... any advise you can give me would sure be appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/03/2011 12:43 am
Spaiker
(@spaiker)
Ninja

I use either chrome or IE, but I don't see the connection with GMail losing accounts, mine is still here though 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/03/2011 1:24 am
yehuda
(@yehuda)
Padawan

In the end Google managed to restore all data, so I wouldn't conclude this incident as "fail". If anything, it increases my confidence to know that they keep an offline copy of our data in case the system misbehaves. Of course, there's no protection from silent data corruption, but they seem to be taking fair measures.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2011 6:53 pm
sdanny55
(@sdanny55)
New to GND-Tech

Hello

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2012 4:49 am
sdanny55
(@sdanny55)
New to GND-Tech

Yeah, even i used version 9 beta..