USB headset sound quality extremely variable?  

RSS
Boombear
(@boombear)
Ninja

I have a bad history with breaking mics on headsets, so I bought a cheap ($12) headset. I then just switch to it when I want to do voice calls etc. and use my old pair as just regular headphones. However, my current pair of headphones (the nice sound quality ones) just broke, and I am using the cheap pair as a replacement. I usually have issues with the sound quality (there's some nasty static whenever any noise is playing), however this morning for about an hour the sound quality was crystal clear (at the quality of my other headphones/speakers). Do you know what could cause this? Is there any way to replicate it? The USB version is no longer up, but here's a 3.5 mm version of it (I think the specs are identical/very similar). Thanks!

Posted : 29/07/2011 2:11 pm
SJentZ
(@sjentz)
Ninja

You could test switching USB port, not that I think it would do a lot, but sometimes the simple is enough ^^

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/07/2011 3:32 pm
Boombear
(@boombear)
Ninja

Well I'd already tried switching it to the other front port, so I tried the back ones (the cord is barely long enough to reach so I had to move my computer around, which is why I hadn't tried the back ones before). One didn't even register the headset, and the other works perfectly. Guess I should test my USB ports in case it's not the headset having the issues and the ports. :cray:

EDIT: 10 minutes later it doesn't work again 🙁

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/07/2011 3:45 pm
SJentZ
(@sjentz)
Ninja

Hmm... Tried messing around with your equalizer? (If you have one)

Could also be the bass getting distorted or something like it?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/07/2011 3:57 pm
Boombear
(@boombear)
Ninja

Headset didn't come with any software, and I don't know of any in Win7 besides the mixer (which isn't really an equalizer). Also, it's not just the base, happens with a wide range of sounds.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/07/2011 4:02 pm
SJentZ
(@sjentz)
Ninja

Then I'm not sure what it could be unless I get to know a little more, for example what was different between the 2 times?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/07/2011 4:10 pm
Boombear
(@boombear)
Ninja

Nothing, as far as I know. It's possible the cord got bent sometime in shipping/packaging (it was this way when I got it). It started working again within the past couple minutes, and I haven't gotten up/adjusted the headphones so I really don't know. Thanks 😀

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/07/2011 4:11 pm
SJentZ
(@sjentz)
Ninja

Happy to help (Or at least try to do so) 😀

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/07/2011 4:16 pm
BabyBalla
(@babyballa)
Guru

sounds like noise interference which is why i almost never recommend USB powered headset / mics nothing you could really do but move usb ports

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/07/2011 6:00 pm
sembianlee
(@sembianlee)
Padawan

:eyeroll:sdfwef

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2012 3:18 am
Share:

Please Login or Register