Notifications
Clear all

Laptop choooice

Jonsp
(@jonsp)
Pirate

Yo.
I've 80% made the decision that I'm going to buy a laptop.
It would really usefull for uni as I could use it for photoshopping and editing etc. in the studio like a lot of other do. It would also save a lot of space on my desk so I could use my tablet in my room for once. Also, it would save me lugging my desktop from England to Wales every couple of months which has already got on my nerves after taking it back once.

So... what to choose...
I'm looking at the i5's and i7's but dont really know much difference between them. I also dont know anything about the GPU's in laptops. GT330M seems to be pretty common. 4Gb DDR3 seems to be the basic and a 500Gb HDD.

You guys give me any reccomendations on any laptops to look at?
I'll be photoshopping, little bit of video editing, general computer-ing and rarely playing some basic games. Probably Live for Speed, Rfractor etc.
I fancy a 17" screen too. Dont want to go over £900 if i can help it.
Thanks bruvs.

Topic starter Posted : 19/01/2011 5:11 pm
clamatowas
(@clamatowas)
Jedi

The I7 is a faster CPU and will allow your laptop to last a bit longer, it will be noticeable epically when you compile a video or are dealing with large images in Photoshop as it can be VERY cpu intensive. Pretty much if you can find a i7 for the price get it over the i5.

Now the next thing you will want to look at is RAM as if you have enough you can make a drive using your ram (creating a small but very fast SSD) to speed up your photo editing making your computer seem much faster than it really is. I would suggest 6GB+

As for the video card if your not going to be HUGE gaming I currently have a the Nvidia 3100M in my Dell and I can play Blackops with out issue. But honestly an ATI wold be cheaper than an Nvidia card, not as fast but as you said you wont be playing big games, your better off putting that money into CPU, RAM. Just make sure that it has an ATI or an NVIDA card. Dont get a laptop with the built in Intell Graphics card, it will slow everything down and you will HATE your laptop.

If you want a good price what you need to do is

#1 be ready to buy money in bank and an idea of what you want.
#2 consider the extras like do you want a Back-light keyboard or a larger cell battery.

#3 go here http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/notebooks/ct.aspx?refid=notebooks&s=dfh&cs=22

You can get a GREAT deal on a DELL laptop with the same warranty as new! BUT they go fast, meaning if find what your looking for buy it fast or you may miss out till another one that matches your desires appears. Also go though their product and see what they have to get a better idea of what you want.

#4 ENJOY!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/01/2011 6:37 pm
Jonsp
(@jonsp)
Pirate

Thanks for the massive reply 🙂
I think I've found something which I really like.. It's just the price which gets me :p
What do you think of this? > HP Pavilion DV7 <

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/01/2011 5:20 pm
iiNNeX
(@iiNNeX)
GODLIKE

That looks good mate, I have the older version of that myself 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/01/2011 6:42 pm
Joe
 Joe
(@joe)
Assended

Doesn't look too bad. I wouldn't buy from PC world if you can help it. They're always like 10% moar expensive.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2011 11:15 am
clamatowas
(@clamatowas)
Jedi

Nice, even has a HD 5650 GPU that will do good for a while. I have never personally owned an HP so I cannot tell you anything about them. But looks like a very solid laptop.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2011 3:45 pm
Jonsp
(@jonsp)
Pirate

I'm swaying towards this toshiba A660. It has a sandy bridge i7 and GT540 GPU. Same price as the HP, slightly smaller screen but looks like it would perform a bit better.

-- I just bought the Toshiba.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 23/01/2011 2:13 pm
Share: