Notifications
Clear all

I7 rig died. Building new one from old folders. LOL

heimie
(@heimie)
Ninja

My I7 rig just stopped on me the other night and I don't have the time to build a full new rig. I have 3 Phenom II X6's sitting idol so I thought I'd try them out.

OK, I needed a good Mobo. All the ones I have for folding are old AM2+/AM3 combos on DDR2 ram. OK, I bought an MSI 890FXA-GD70 and had 8g of DDR3-1600 RipJaws sitting here. Now for the Cooler. I bought an Coolit System ECO cooler last year and never put it in anything. Cooler taken care of. Here's where I screwed up. LOL I have 11 GTS250's sitting around so I have the GPUs set. Right? Wrong. LOL The Mobo doesn't support SLI. 🙁 OK, go to the Egg. xFx has 5770 Single slot GPUs ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150501 ) and it seems like they are a step up from the GTS250 anyway, and even if not better than the GTX260-16s in the dead rig. OK, under 300 bucks for Crossfire setup. Not bad. I'll probably eventually put the SSD I bought last year and still haven't made the time to put in anything, but for now, I'll just use an old WD 500g HDD from one of the folders. I'm putting it in the CM Stacker 832 Black I bought last year (and is still in the box because I'm a lazy ass. LOL)

Any comments/suggestions?

Topic starter Posted : 22/01/2011 12:24 pm
Spaiker
(@spaiker)
Ninja

All I have to say is this; those singleslot coolers make a hell of an annoying sound. So unless your pc is in another room 😉
You stopped folding heimie?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2011 1:18 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

That sucks your rig died. 🙁

if you want a step up, and don't care about noise, Galaxy makes a single slot 460.

http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/20794-galaxy-makes-single-slot-gtx-460-card

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2011 1:49 pm
heimie
(@heimie)
Ninja

Well, I had some XfX xxx 8600gt's way back and it was surprisingly quiet and cool for a single slot. XfX doesn't like to let you OC much or didn't back then, nor could I control fan speed, but I didn't really need to. I actually looked at a whole line of Nvidia cards, but I really didn't want to be stuck without multiple card ability and I've never really tried AMD/ATI GPUs. I didn't think about the Mobo not being Nvidia until I got it built and got 2 GTS250s in it and there was no option to SLI. I love the GTS250 and I still have the GTX216-16s, but I want my SLI. LOL I'll try out Crossfire. Single slot was just because the Mobo has 5 PCIe slots and who knows what other neat crap I can find to stick on a Mobo. LOL I'll probably be rebuilding the I7 rig when I have time (and get non-lazy enough) to figure out what exactly went on it. It just stopped. No pop, no smell, no crackle. It just shut down rather abruptly and does nothing when I hit the button. Could be almost anything and , well, I'm lazy. Haha

As for folding, it got to be work again. LOL and guess what, I'm lazy. I may get the remaining Kitchen rig (the new build is using most of the parts from one) eventually, but unless work slows down eventually, it's not likely. I miss folding, but 70-80 hours a week at work makes my down time really valuable and when I fold, I spend most of my down time either tweaking the folders, on the forums posting about folding or thinking about how to get more PPD. LOL I can't just let them fold for some reason. Haha It runs against all my lazy traits too.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/01/2011 3:45 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

Jeez how many extra PC parts do you have laying around!? Jealous. xD

Well too bad your rig died on ya, but atleast you have all those spare parts! 😯

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2011 4:02 pm
heimie
(@heimie)
Ninja

Well, my Q8200 rig finally folded out. I never tried to fix it because it was a POS anyway. I had my I7 gamer, 2 dedicated Phenom II X6 folders (not in a case, but both sitting in/on a Microwave stand. LOL), My laptop that I only use when I go somewhere, another Phenom ii X6 that I email and browse the net on and my E6850 HTPC that I use more than any of them. Building rigs was once a huge fun time sink (and moneuy sink now that I think about it. LOL) but time is now more valuable and my son started College. Only reason I'm even building the new/old rig is because I have been in the Beta for Rift and got addicted. Bought the pre-order CE and am only gonna survive to release because there are still 3 more betas to hold me over. LOL

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/01/2011 4:10 pm
heimie
(@heimie)
Ninja

LOL. I have the "new" X6 rig running and I decided I'd try a little OCing. I open the OC tool that comes with the MSI mobo, and it already OC;d the system to 4.1 ghz. LOL I hsd heard about auto OCing on MSI boards, but I have never tried it nor had I messed with anything. The CPU was idling @ 28c which I thought was a tad high and was wondering if I didn't put to little/too much TIM on the cooler. LOL. 28 idle @ 4.4ghz I think is pretty cool. The cooler is one of the Coolit water cooled things. If the readings are right, I'm pretty impressed.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 23/01/2011 6:46 am
Darken1
(@darken1)
Jedi

Nice to see you here again bro 🙂

Glad you got a rig running, now 28c @ 4.4 is great thats preety much my idle temp @ 4.2 around 50c full load folding.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2011 8:10 am
heimie
(@heimie)
Ninja

oops. 4.4 = 4.1. I fail at typing. LOL Good to see you again Darken1. I was just shocked when I saw it had OC'd itself and hadn't blown up. LOL

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 23/01/2011 9:52 am
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

Wow that's awesome for a 6core. Those AMDs seem to run very cool. I've got an x4 in my HTPC with a super cheap cooler I bought for $14 idling at 24c 🙂
My 4.0GHz 930 runs at 32c idle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2011 10:23 am
Share: