Notifications
Clear all

Hybrid PC  

RSS
Hired_Mark
(@hired_mark)
Padawan

Basically I need an effective workstation PC, for 3D modeling and design as well as for some physics calculations.
However the recommended GPU by AutoDesk is the FX 4800 .

I obviously don't have that kind of money, so I am going to be making it out of consumer parts with the hope that the build is going to be able to punch above its weight, and also offering some serious gaming muscle. In that retrospect I don't really care about CUDA or PhysX Nvidia offers as OpenGL has become very popular.

So here it is:
Case: Fractal Design Define XL
MOBO: ASRock Z68 Extreme4
GPU: 2 x MSI R6970-2PM2D2GD5: Radeon HD 6970 2 GB, CrossFire
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K: 3.4 GHz, 8 MB Shared L3 Cache
RAM: G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM: DDR3-1600 C8, 4 GB x 2 (8 GB)
SSD: 2x/A-Data S599 64 GB, SATA 3Gb/s SSD
HDD: Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1 TB, 7200 RPM HDD
Optical: Lite-On iHBS212 BD-RE: 12x BD-R, 24x DVD±R, 48x CD-R
PSU: XFX 850W Black Edition (XPS-850W-BES)
Heatsink: Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B (SCMG-2100)
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX

Reasoning for my choice is that i7-2600K has hyperthreading that can be enabled allowing for it to behave as if it is an octocore. Will that be able to put in the sparring height of the i7-990X that is a hexacore?

Also my choice of the 6970 is the superior scaling in Crossfire compared to the 570s in SLI.

As per the sound card, it just an item purely for entertainment value. I am probably gonna skimp on it when it comes to buying the parts, when I gather the money.

I will also be getting a couple of extra front fans for the case.

So, what do you guys think?

P.S. Got referred here by GND_Joe at DRMB. Apologies in advance if this isn't the right place to post.

Posted : 23/08/2011 8:50 am
Spaiker
(@spaiker)
Ninja

Seems like a good pc!

Maybe you can take a CM HAF instead of this Fractal Design..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2011 9:52 am
Hired_Mark
(@hired_mark)
Padawan

I went for noise reduction, good filters and good internal layout with that. My only worry being the heat management.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2011 12:12 pm
BabyBalla
(@babyballa)
Guru

Fractal are pretty good cases.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2011 12:12 pm
Hired_Mark
(@hired_mark)
Padawan

So there shouldn't be airflow problems, even with something as big as the Scythe Mugen 2 rev.b right?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2011 12:39 pm
Spaiker
(@spaiker)
Ninja

The Mugen also provived a sertain airflow as he pushes air forward 😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2011 2:15 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

Good selection of parts. An i7 2600k will be able to keep up in video games, but certain 3D rendering programs and video encoders will take advantage of the extra cores of the 990x. I can't tell you which programs exactly since this isn't exactly up my alley but looking up reviews of CPUs should answer this question. As for your front fan situation, I have a fan guide in the cooling section which might help you make your decision, but if you want to just get something cheap that works well then go for Yate Loons from petrastechshop or sidewindercomputers (these two sites have the best Yate Loons).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2011 8:57 pm
Hired_Mark
(@hired_mark)
Padawan

Thanks for the guide, however I think am gonna go with a 120mm and a 140mm Silent series fans, as I presume the case has been designed with them in mind and they should give optimum performance. Is that choice adequate?
Also I don't mind the sound of a PC when I am gaming, as I have my headphones on, however when I work, the whine the PSU in my current PC makes(The thing is on the end of its lifespan anyways. ) drives me mad. It is actually loud enough to wake people in other rooms, so it is where my obsession with near silent performance comes from, similarly even the GPUs were picked from MSI as they made the quietest in comparison to other manufacturers.

P.S. Thanks for the tip, Spaiker as I was worried due to the bulk SCMG-2100 is.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/08/2011 2:18 am
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

I have no clue on the quality of stock Fractal Design fans, but the best silent 120mm case fans would be lower RPM Scythe GentleTyphoons or the Noctua NF-P12 from my experience. Noiseblocker is a good choice for 140mm fans since its superior competition use 120mm fan mounts (Thermalright TY-140 and Noctua NF-P14).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/08/2011 2:31 pm
Hired_Mark
(@hired_mark)
Padawan

Thanks!:drinks: I think I actually might go with the Noctuas as they appear to remain comparatively silent but push considerable bit more air, and they have thought out the design better. Though I might have to sit on it and consider for a while due to price difference. Then again a bit more could go a long way. I will be comparing their stats and reviews closely for some time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/08/2011 2:58 pm
SJentZ
(@sjentz)
Ninja

The Fractal design case is actually really good, the one downside I can say it has is the filter at the bottom getting filled quickly, but who cares when it's that or the rest of the PC 😀

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2011 8:18 am
Hired_Mark
(@hired_mark)
Padawan

@SJentZ 84135 wrote:

The Fractal design case is actually really good, the one downside I can say it has is the filter at the bottom getting filled quickly, but who cares when it's that or the rest of the PC 😀

Thanks, though what did you do with the front Fan? I plan on moving it on the lower slot whilst installing 2 Noctuas on the top optional and on the original slots. BTW how long is the cable on that fan?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2011 9:59 am
SJentZ
(@sjentz)
Ninja

@Hired_Mark 84147 wrote:

Thanks, though what did you do with the front Fan? I plan on moving it on the lower slot whilst installing 2 Noctuas on the top optional and on the original slots. BTW how long is the cable on that fan?

The only fan I've switched was the cpu fan, though that's because it sucked 😛

I don't know the exact length of the cables in the XL version as I don't have it (Tiny case ftw :P) However I'm pretty sure you'll be glad you got it, the noise absortion really does help (Keep in mind I can only compare to previous cases I've had) and it's just and overall nice case to work with ^^

The front fan was on the bottom when I got the case, and I believe it is preferable to have it there. I run 2 4850's (Crossfire, not to be confused with the 4850x2 card) and I never pass the 65*C line.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2011 1:51 pm
Hired_Mark
(@hired_mark)
Padawan

@SJentZ 84172 wrote:

The only fan I've switched was the cpu fan, though that's because it sucked 😛

I don't know the exact length of the cables in the XL version as I don't have it (Tiny case ftw :P) However I'm pretty sure you'll be glad you got it, the noise absortion really does help (Keep in mind I can only compare to previous cases I've had) and it's just and overall nice case to work with ^^

The front fan was on the bottom when I got the case, and I believe it is preferable to have it there. I run 2 4850's (Crossfire, not to be confused with the 4850x2 card) and I never pass the 65*C line.

Alright, I guess I am all set. Thanks everybody! I will be cruising this thread from time to time in case something else pop up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2011 3:32 pm
Hired_Mark
(@hired_mark)
Padawan

Just to note I have changed my mind, to go for a single Crucial M4 128 GB SSD instead for of a set of 2 by 64GB by A-DATA, just to cut on costs a bit. I doubt this will have too much of an effect of performance.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2011 7:39 am
Share: