Forum

Most Underrated Games of All Time?  

RSS
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

What do you think? With all the terrible games that get such high praise, there is a vast number of good titles that go unnoticed. I can't pick just one, so I'll list all of the ones that come to mind.

• Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords (Obsidian, 2004): I've never seen anyone speak highly of this game, though everyone praises the first one. KOTOR 2 shows many gameplay improvements over the first, and has a much better story. People let bugs ruin games for them too much, though I suppose times were different back in 2004 and bugs were a lot more rare so people had higher standards when it came to this. Still, even though KOTOR 2 is probably the most rushed game of all time, the end product is really good. Had it been given more time and better QC, it would have been better than the first in every way.
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl (GSC, 2007): One of the best shooters of all time, and a very innovative game, though it got only a cult following.
  • Penumbra (Frictional Games, 2007-2008): This is an episodic game, though it's only two episodes so I'm referring to both. This game just went by unnoticed. Its spiritual successor, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, did get a lot of positive attention, but Penumbra was just under the radar. It has a much better story than Amnesia, and it revived the horror genre and set the standards that EVERYONE else is copying today.
  • Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason (Action Forms, 2009): Known only for its very advanced PhysX effects, but Cryostasis is a creative game with pretty good atmosphere and an excellent story.
  • Dragon Age: Origins (BioWare, 2009): Definitely not THE most underrated game, since it was very well received universally, but it was hailed only as a great game and not as one of the best games of all time, which it clearly is (read this article).
  • Metro 2033 (4A Games, 2010): Somehow this received mixed reviews. It's almost perfect for what it is, and is certainly one of the best shooters ever made.
  • Fallout: New Vegas (Obsidian, 2010): Its buggy release seemed to soil it for many people. Fallout 3 gets the most praise in the franchise by far. Although FO3 is much more atmospheric, New Vegas is a much better game overall and one of the very best games ever made.
  • Dragon Age 2 (BioWare, 2011): Although it is heavily flawed, it's still a superior RPG than most of the semi-RPG nonsense we get today.
  • Mass Effect 3 (BioWare, 2012): You know what? There just might be a single most underrated game of all time. It is Mass Effect 3. Everyone loved the first two games (especially the second). ME3 uses the same, successful formula from the second but improves upon it mechanically. It also takes you to some of the most interesting locations in the franchise, and provides the most powerful decisions in the franchise. No doubt that everyone who liked ME2 was also loving ME3 until the very end. ME3's ending is one of the most controversial things in video game history, though 95% of the negativity is bandwagon hate and/or from people who demand clear cut answers for everything and despise having things left to their imagination, since they have no imagination. Just about all of the haters didn't play the game with Extended Cut and Leviathan either.
  • Anna: Extended Edition (Dreampainters, 2013): Since it's an indie title, it's no surprise that it went under the radar. But it's one of the most artistic and creative games I've ever played. See my review here.
  • Metro: Last Light (4A Games, 2013): More positively received than the first one, but even then it had mixed reviews when it's so far and above just about every other shooter.

As for the most overrated games, just look at the Biggest Letdown award for all of our GOTY articles, as well as this article.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2014 11:38 am
Share:

You Might Also Like

Working

Please Login or Register