Favorite Shooters?  

RSS
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

Here's my top 10. What are yours? Let's not count extreme genre hybrids like Mass Effect and modern Fallout and Deus Ex series and Underhell in here.

1) S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl - Setting/atmosphere, open ended, A-Life, mission design/variety, gameplay, story, mods.

2) S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat - Setting/atmosphere although not as special as SoC here, nice gameplay improvements, mods. I love the survival aspect with Misery 2.

3) S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky - Setting/atmosphere on point again although not quite SoC level, some very interesting dialogue at least early on, impressive A-Life in faction wars, mods.

4) Metro 2033 Redux - Atmosphere, storytelling, survival gameplay, I love it all.

5) Metro: Last Light - For the same reasons as 2033, and I love the more detailed level design and stealth.

6) Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason - I think this counts since the horror is more thematic than anything. Gameplay is all shooting plus holding a button/key over heat sources. Story and atmosphere are the main reason I rate this so high.

7) Half-Life 2 - Primarily with Cinematic Mod 2013. Wouldn't rank this high without it, as it needs it to become an amazing atmospheric experience. Good gameplay diversity.

8) Crysis Wars - For Power Struggle and of course the mods. So much fun. Improved balance over the original plus team deathmatch which is also fun occasionally.

9) Crysis - Also for Power Struggle.

10) ArmA 3 - So much to do and create, I love the simulation gameplay aspects.

Honorable mentions: ArmA 2, Rainbow Six 3: Gold, Natural Selection 2, Black Mesa.

Here is Enad's top 10 for reference:

1) Spec Ops: The Line
2) The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
3) ArmA 3
4) ArmA 2
5) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
6) Battlefield: Bad Company 2
7) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
8) Metro: Last Light
9) Metro 2033 Redux
10) Battlefield 1

ReplyQuote