2014 = Best year for gaming since 2010?
2014 was very good.
- Dragon Age: Inquisition - Won GOTY, one of the best casts with some of the best character development of any game, wonderful art design, pretty good role-playing.
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Lost Alpha - Reviewed here
- Wasteland 2 - Excellent role-playing, more than anything since Fallout: New Vegas, but pacing issues to the point where the plot becomes boring.
- Pillars of Eternity - Second best RPG behind Wasteland 2 since 2010, but has issues with its role-playing (e.g. usually you can only choose between two extreme dialogue choices to advance a quest), scale too large for the relatively small amount of content it offers.
- Divinity: Original Sin - Very good RPG and excellent gameplay.
- The Walking Dead: Season Two - Not quite as good as season 1 but still very intense.
- The Wolf Among Us - Brilliant!
- Project C.A.R.S. - (will probably go down as the best racing game of all time)
- Assetto Corsa - (will probably go down as the second best racing game of all time)
Looks comparable to the other great years in gaming history.
- Baldur's Gate (pioneer, not exceptional by later standards though)
- Fallout 2 (one of the finest made, absolute highest quality games ever made, the best satire in gaming and the most dialogue-based role-playing ever
- Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (above average shooter)
- Half Life (very good shooter, best of the time)
- Resident Evil 2 (best survival horror game of the time)
- Thief: The Dark Project (the real beginning to stealth games, one of only three truly excellent pure stealth games to this day
- Baldur's Gate 2 (revolution in pause-play party RPGs)
- Icewind Dale
- Deus Ex (very innovative and original stealth-action RPG)
- Thief II: The Metal Age (more of the same greatness from the original, but most agree better mission design)
- Icewind Dale 2
- Neverwinter Nights (revolutionary RPG, took gameplay content to a whole new level)
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (redefined open world gaming and action RPGs)
2007 (best year ever):
- Mass Effect (revolutionary storytelling/character development methods)
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl (one of a kind shooter)
- Crysis (innovative strategic PvP and revolutionary engine)
- Natural Selection (innovative strategic PvP)
- Penumbra: Overture (revolutionized the horror genre, one of the best horror games ever made)
- ArmA (succession of military simulators)
- Half Life 2: Episode 2
- Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (arguably best game and best RPG ever, one of the most well written games ever)
- Alpha Protocol
- Mass Effect 2
- Fallout: New Vegas (best RPG of the 2010s, revolutionary action RPG showing that an action RPG can have as much role-playing as a real RPG)
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent
- Metro 2033 (revolution in storytelling in shooter games)