Notifications
Clear all

Dry Ice Run Insulation Method  

RSS
Jayrock
(@jayrock)
Trusted

Figured I'd bust out these pics to share what I learned from various sources. Basically, I put together a hybrid of insulation methods and ended up with the following. I've recently moved on to trying to build a phase setup, but plan on using a similar (but more permanent) insulation method.

First, I stuffed a bit of torn armaflex insulation around the socket before I clamped down the CPU retention mechanism...
socketstuffing1.jpg

Then I used kneaded rubber eraser and built up around it, making sure the level of the eraser was just a tad below that of the top of the cpu...
erasorzors1.jpg

For the bottom of the mobo, I put a layer of frost king insulation, then a piece of neoprene rubber (insulation and to make sure the backplate doesn't short out the mobo), then my backplate under that...
backplate1.jpg

Then I put a piece of frost king on the top (after cutting it to fit) and feed my mounting hardware through...
finalinsulation1.jpg

Finally I throw a piece of armaflex with a hole cut in the middle that JUST fits the end of the dry ice pot, clamp the pot in, wrap it lightly with a shop towel to catch any spills...
setup1.jpg

And then I'm good to go!
bubbles1.jpg

chillyBIOS1.jpg

As you can probably tell, getting into dry ice doesn't require tons of super hardware or alot of money. I really had fun with it. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to computers, so if I can pull off successful runs, I'd venture to guess that pretty much anyone can do it well, too. Oh... and if you do decide to try it... don't just use my insulation as an example! My advice is to go find pics of as many setups as you can (like I did) and then make a decision on how you want to go about it.

Posted : 14/04/2009 1:14 am
Share: