Notifications
Clear all

Suggestions - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Case  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS
iiNNeX
(@iiNNeX)
GODLIKE

I dont like the whole idea of fans though its too loud and annoying as hell. I wouldn't have both cases for water cooling tbh. I want a case with 1-2 or no fans at all. I love quietness I can't believe people can even live with such loud cases :/ My current one has like 4-5 and its a nightmare.

And as for Case Enthusiasts ? WTF thats sad lol

And why would you want to waste your money to buy 4x GFX cards ? Its a complete waste unless your sad enough to spend the money and after 2 years people can beat that 4 way sli with 2 cards if not 1 dual GPU card...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2010 1:42 pm
the_man550
(@the_man550)
Renound

@Jester 19451 wrote:

High end/high CFM 120mm fans pwn those big slow (but quiet) 200mm-230mm fans for airflow.

That, however, is a lying cake.

High end CMF fans I take are around 2000RPM. The CMF of those are usually bellow 80, the best coming out at around or perhaps a little above 80. A 200mm on the other hand are usually at far above 100, 130 is usual if you crank them up to 1200rpm or something. Still not very loud.

What the 120cm's are better at would be pressure. If you have a cramped case with a lot of cables which the air has to go around, a 120cm fan would be better than a 200cm. (yes, we're talking big fans here. 200cm ftw). If however it's a clean case, the internal components which have fans of their own would be better of if they had a 200mm pushing a lot of air on them, while perhaps not having a high pressure.
My posts are a mess, that's what identify them

edit: btw, wouldn't a watercooling which cooled the entire computer (ram, cpu, nb, sb, gpu) need radiators with fans which sound as much?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2010 2:15 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

You're taking guesses, and falling for marketing crap. I'm speaking from experience. I replaced all of my 230mm fans (supposedly 700 RPM/110 CFM/19 DBA) with Cooler Master R4 fans (supposedly 1800 RPM/69.69 CFM/19 DBA). The most simple change was the front fan on my ATCS 840. It was one of those 230mm fans, now I have one of those Cooler Master R4 fans. My hard drive temperatures were reduced by 1-2 degrees Celsius, without a noticeable noise change. The point is, they cool better.

Then you have 120mm x 38mm fans. The Scythe Ultra Kaze, a nice $10 fan does 3000 RPM/133.6 CFM/45.9 DBA, while Delta has a fan that does 6000 RPM/210 CFM/64 DBA. The good news is, those results check out. 120mm fans > all. They aren't capable of more, they're just so commonly used that manufacturers make the best out of them.

XeqtR - case fans are needed if you want good airflow, otherwise parts will overheat. Water cooling systems desperately need fans too. High CFM ones at that. Radiators collect all of the heat from the rest of a water cooling system. This heat has to go somewhere right? You don't want to rely on positive air pressure to passively remove the heat (most water cooling systems have negative air pressure anyway). You need fans. Good fans. High CFM fans. Noisy fans. Welcome to the world of computers.

By enthusiasts, I meant water cooling enthusiasts. They need huge cases. Mountain Mods is where it's at.

http://www.mountainmods.com/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2010 4:16 pm
the_man550
(@the_man550)
Renound

@Jester 19475 wrote:

You're taking guesses, and falling for marketing crap. /<-How's that not a guess? I'm speaking from experience. I replaced all of my 230mm fans (supposedly 700 RPM/110 CFM/19 DBA) with Cooler Master R4 fans (supposedly 1800 RPM/69.69 CFM/19 DBA). The most simple change was the front fan on my ATCS 840. It was one of those 230mm fans, now I have one of those Cooler Master R4 fans. My hard drive temperatures were reduced by 1-2 degrees Celsius, without a noticeable noise change. The point is, they cool better.

Awesome that your hard drive has a fan. You misinterpreted what I tried to say, read it again plox. The 200mm fans feed the internal fans with cool air far better, it doesn't bring the temperatures down by itself.

And indeed, there are far higher RPM 12cm's like the deltas, but after all the talk about noice levels in this thread I though we were talking about more 'normal' fans, which for me come out at a maximum of about 2000rpm. They're actually quite loud already.

Let's put it like this:
If you had a dedicated chassis fan to push air on your push/pull CPU cooler, you'd be better of having a 200mm pushing air onto it, and then having two 120mm fans on the CPU cooler itself, rather than having a 120mm on the chassis instead of the 200mm. The RAM wouldn't be the same, since it's (mostly) got no fan of it's own. So if you had a chassis fan outside the RAM, a 120mm would be most efficient there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/04/2010 1:54 am
WASD
 WASD
(@wasd)
Pirate

Id wait for the HAF-X also. i got an email from cm advertizing it and it looks pretty sweeeet!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/05/2010 1:43 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: