Notifications
Clear all

Suggestions - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Case  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

i'm going to be retiring my old trusty Thermaltake Armor case and thinking of upgrading to something a little more modern and one that works better with cable management. I was thinking of getting the Corsair Obsidian Series 800D as it looks like it has it all and then some.

What do you all think? Anyone ever seen/used this one before? ❓

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139001

Posted : 17/04/2010 8:51 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

I say avoid it. Here are my reasons.

1) It's $300. That's a lot for a nearly all steel case. The only aluminum is used on the front bezel.

2) Airflow is severely lacking as you can see. No intakes for the video card or CPU. The fan for the hot swap bays is useless since it has no place to intake air and no place to exhaust it. If you ever decide to get a Fermi card, you would have to water cool it.

3) Water cooling is good, but beat by cheaper cases. By default you can fit one 360 rad on top. Modding might allow for a 240 rad on the bottom.

The Cooler Master ATCS 840 costs $180, has a nearly all aluminum construction, much better airflow (stock and potential), better water cooling potential (stock and with modding), and still good cable management and a similar size. It has a removable motherboard tray, and also features a CPU retention hole.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/04/2010 9:20 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

Thanks I was actually considering the 840 as it's pretty much got it all. I saw this case and since I hadn't heard anything about it I thought I'd ask. 🙂

Thanks Jester. +REP

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/04/2010 10:33 pm
Joe
 Joe
(@joe)
Assended

If you want something sleek/hiddenable i'd say the 840. I'm waiting on the HAF-X that Jester pointed out to me. Jester can't say enough good things about the 840 so it must be good 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2010 4:33 am
iiNNeX
(@iiNNeX)
GODLIKE

That is the ugliest case I have ever seen man! But it is good for one thing. If you are planning on making a water cooled system then its perfect. And I mean full water cooling not just GPU or just CPU.

Up to you though mate (:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2010 6:21 am
iGeForce
(@igeforce)
Guru

@XeqtR 19416 wrote:

That is the ugliest case I have ever seen man! But it is good for one thing. If you are planning on making a water cooled system then its perfect. And I mean full water cooling not just GPU or just CPU.

Up to you though mate (:

Sorry, I'm no expert on watercooling, why is it ideal for watercooling?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2010 6:24 am
Joe
 Joe
(@joe)
Assended

Presumeably because of its ability to fit 360+240, but many cases can beat that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2010 6:43 am
iiNNeX
(@iiNNeX)
GODLIKE

Its because it will be quiet not many open sides and only 1 or 2 fans by the looks of it just to take the dust out from the tubes or w/e. You can even replace them with better fans with LEd and much quieter ones. Its also quite big, I think its FULL ATX, and I think it should do the job. Personally I wouldn't get it as it is as ugly as a corvette. But anyway its not worth it :/ if thats $300 how much is the HAF 932 there ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2010 7:48 am
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

The HAF 932 is about $160, and it is much better for air cooling and can fit two 360 rads without much trouble.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2010 8:06 am
iiNNeX
(@iiNNeX)
GODLIKE

There you go then get that strud or wait for HAF-X (:

Your choice

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2010 8:31 am
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

I hadn't heard about the HAF-X until now... I think I'm going to wait for that. What's the ETA for it's release?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2010 9:49 am
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

The ETA is who knows, they don't want to tell us. But by the looks of it, soon.

Cooler Master does have quite a few more power supplies on the horizon. One has been used to power something like this.

25105_416029300420_39537220420_5585937_7078201_n.jpg

😀

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2010 9:53 am
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

Cooler master is making some of the best power supplies now.

But, I for sure wouldn't mind that setup. 😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2010 10:15 am
iiNNeX
(@iiNNeX)
GODLIKE

WTF that has way too many fans and way too big. It will be like some airplane. I dont want it now lol I want something quiet as hell with noise filtering filters and water coolin 😀 Silence ftw im sick of fans.

But if you are going to go fan cooling only go for it... Still dont see whats so better than the 932 :/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2010 12:03 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

Bigger, better water cooling than the HAF 932. Airflow is actually worse than the HAF 932. With the 932 you can have more intakes for the video cards, since you can put your PSU on top. This way you can have two 120mm bottom intakes, matched with four 120mm side intakes, a 120mm front intake (modding can allow for 3 very easily), and 3 120mm intakes on the back of the drive bays. The HAF-X actually can't do this. It can do one 120mm front intake (three with easy modding, all you need are cable ties), three 120mm intakes on the back of the drive bays, one 120mm bottom intake, and one 200mm side intake. High end/high CFM 120mm fans pwn those big slow (but quiet) 200mm-230mm fans for airflow.

The case is too big? Most enthusiasts don't know what that means. 🙂

The Corsair Obsidian 800D is actually larger too. So is the ATCS 840, except for height.

- EDIT: The HAF-X also has dust filters, hot swap bays, unlike the HAF 932. But that isn't a problem with a 932, making your own dust filters is easy. The HAF-X is also all black and supports four dual slot video cards.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2010 12:07 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: