Notifications
Clear all

Recover Dead Hard Drive?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

So, as some of you know, I had a major hard drive crash today. I lost a 2TB Maxtor drive that had all my music, movies, and games on. All in all I lost about 1.6TB worth of data. 🙁 So, I would love to get this working again.

So here's what it does. I plug it into my system then turn it on. BIOS locks up when it's detecting drives. Then when I do make it into BIOS, the hard drive is not detected. So there is some hardware issue going on with it.

What I've done so far is: replaced the SATA cable, tried another port, and also tried it in an external enclosure.

Any ideas on how I can get my dead hard drive working again??

Posted : 08/10/2010 10:44 pm
Darken1
(@darken1)
Jedi

Did you try to boot to windows, and then go to device manager do a search for hardware changes, some time i do that to get dead drives
to detect in windows.
It doesn't work all the time but it's worth a try, may need to reboot and try it a few times.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2010 10:52 pm
Joe
 Joe
(@joe)
Assended

Don't try fuck with the drive yourself, take it to a professional.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2010 4:47 am
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

professionals cost thousands of dollars.... I'm not going to open it or anything.

@ Darken I would try that but BIOS isn't even picking it up. 🙁

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2010 8:55 am
Darken1
(@darken1)
Jedi

And it works even when not detected in Bios. 😀

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2010 9:23 am
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

Orly?!

Okay I'll try that then. Thanks 😀

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2010 10:22 am
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

I was finally able to get into windows with it, but the device manager wouldn't recognize it. Windows would freeze around every 5 seconds too. It sounds like the drive spins up, thinks a little, then slows down. Then it starts all over. So not sure what's going on with it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2010 11:57 am
wierdo124
(@wierdo124)
Jedi

Sounds like you've tried everything. Is it the end of the world if you lose said data? I'd open her up and resolder every connection i could find, and try it again. Get your hands dirty with the voltmeter 😀

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2010 1:02 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

I might do it out of boredom if anything. It's mostly the music that I wish I had back... over 250GB of it.

Maybe I'll try baking the PCB to see if that does anything...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2010 1:06 pm
Darken1
(@darken1)
Jedi

Before you do that maybe take a good look at all pins in the sata data and power conectors on the drive
clean them with thermal compound remover and make sure they sitting right.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2010 1:39 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

Yeah I checked those and they seem to be making good contact. I took a cotton swab and cleaned them with alcohol.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2010 2:01 pm
just4funUK
(@just4funuk)
Trusted

Are any of your other drives the same model? If so you may be able to use the controller board off another drive(same model drive) on this one while you copy the data off.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/11/2010 5:29 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

Unfortunately no. 🙁

I looked online to see if I could pick one up real quick, and they are all like $50 lol. I'd get a new drive at that point lol.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/11/2010 5:46 pm
Briar_Rabbit
(@briar_rabbit)
Leveling Up

What might help is if you place the drive in a zip lock freezer bag or two to protect it from moisture and then place the entire thing in the freezer for eight hours until it gets nice and solid. You then MAY have a working drive for a while . Hopefully you'll have a working drive long enough to pull some stuff off of it. I know it sounds weird but it may help! Try it you may get lucky. Of course you'll want the drive to be frigging cold when you place it back into your computer, so you'll have to work fast.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/11/2010 11:52 pm
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

Interesting idea. I'll give it a try as I've not nothing to lose at this point. I'll just let it freeze overnight and give it a try in the morning.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/11/2010 12:11 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: