Clear all

PSU wattage required..  

RSS
Squiggers
(@squiggers)
Padawan

Now, i've tried using the tool here:
http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/PSUEngine

But its coming out with a figure that is surely way too low for the rig i'm getting (listed below) - anyone got any ideas what the actual wattage PSU i should be getting? As i'm sure 285W isn't right...

Note - i am upgrading the RAM and graphics card at a later date, i'm just keeping cost down for now. 😛

===

Processor (CPU)
AMD PHENOM II X6 1090T (3.20GHz/9MB CACHE/AM3/) - BLACK EDITION
Motherboard
ASUS® M4A78LT-M: mATX MAINBOARD, DDR3, USB 2.0, SATA 3.0Gb/s
Memory (RAM)

2GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (1 x 2GB)
Graphics Card
512MB NVIDIA GEFORCE 210 - DVI,HDMI,VGA
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive

24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
350W Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
Processor Cooling
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options

4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Posted : 21/01/2011 7:19 am
Spaiker
(@spaiker)
Ninja

Why wouldn't it? I mean, a GTS doesn't take that much power, nor do hard disks, ram and all the other stuff. The only thing that takes a lot of power is your cpu.
Antec has a tool too, maybe check that out?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2011 10:15 am
Squiggers
(@squiggers)
Padawan

@Spaiker 57332 wrote:

Why wouldn't it? I mean, a GTS doesn't take that much power, nor do hard disks, ram and all the other stuff. The only thing that takes a lot of power is your cpu.
Antec has a tool too, maybe check that out?

Just thought it was a bit odd that it was so low, thats all. I've had a look, its exactly the same program basically so the result would be the same.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2011 11:48 am
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

Don't expect to play any recent game on that 210.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2011 1:00 pm
Joe
 Joe
(@joe)
Assended

It's OK, he only plays minecraft and makes his game in CE...

Ah, you're screwed on the second part. Like I've told you before, go for a cheaper processor and go for an upgrade on the GPU. 5770 or 460, something like that,

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2011 2:54 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

Wouldn't he need something more than a 210 if he wants to test his game, or does he have other people for that?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2011 4:26 pm
Squiggers
(@squiggers)
Padawan

Got other people for testing it I hope. :p

The system listed, I can get for about 400ish I remember right. Just budgeting myself at the moment and keeping price down to an acceptable level. I'm upgrading the graphics card and ram asap, just need to replace the old system I'm stuck with that was built in 2000ish.

With a 1.3ghz processor, 512mb ram, and a borked radeon 2400hd... Its just a bit dire and on its last legs. :p

Processor is more of a ballache to upgrade/replace at a later date than the graphics card surely?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2011 5:15 am
Joe
 Joe
(@joe)
Assended

I wouldn't call a GT 210 much of an upgrade. It might've been OK if you were creating in source, or back on UDK, but not really on CE.

I'd go for an overclockable quad that's cheaper than that 6 core, and spend a bit moar on the GPU. If you're going for a 210, just don't get one at all and pick a motherboard with a discrete graphics chip.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2011 5:28 am
Squiggers
(@squiggers)
Padawan

That is the most basic graphics card that comes with it - cost wise, cheaper for me to buy a better graphics card seperately, which I'm doing about 2-3 weeks after I've got the pc.

Only motherboard available on that package mate, hence why I've not just gone with onboard graphics instead of having the 210. Ill have a look at the other packages available mind, as I'd prefer to spend that bit of the £400 available to me on more ram/better psu rather than a graphics card ill barely use! :p

Btw - maybe move this to rigs as the topics changed a bit?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2011 6:32 am
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

How about just getting a GTS 450 for the time being?
It's not very good but atleast you can game a bit with it. Even a GTS 250 would be better than a GT 210.
I have a GT 210 as a secondary card in my PC and I tried playing Killing Floor at 1440x900(much lower than my native res) and it still was a bit laggy, so you're really not gonna have fun in the Cryengine.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2011 8:40 am
Share: