Notifications
Clear all

Crunch time.  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS
Lhotse
(@lhotse)
Guru

i'm giving serious thought to pulling the trigger on this. my friend Pat is beside himself saying " What do you need THAT for ? it's just gonna blow and ruin everything. "
i'm not so sure. i've researched this and the plus column is ahead and the price seems as good as i'm gonna get w/o getting into the 6-700. range just for a case.
at first i came SO CLOSE to getting this but as i read the reviews everyone says that its just too cramped and i dont wanna buy again if i cant fit what i want into it.

Posted : 25/07/2010 9:51 am
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

In general Thermaltake cases use too much plastic and aren't very user friendly, and the Bulldozer doesn't allow for large CPU coolers without removing the necessary side fan, not to mention it just looks retarded.

The best case you can buy below $150 is the Cooler Master Storm Sniper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119194&cm_re=storm_sniper-_-11-119-194-_-Product

All black, well built, very large, excellent airflow, fan speed/LED controller for the front/side/top fan, great water cooling support, side and top 200mm fans can be replaced with dual 120mm units or a 240mm radiator (15mm spacing I believe), excellent cable management, CPU retention plate access hole, very good tool free design, 2.5"/1.8" drive support, supports large CPU coolers with the side fan or optional side fans, easily accessible dust filters and more. Not to mention free shipping! Here is a video review of the case.

He gave it the highest rating possible. Keep in mind the review shows the old version which has no black interior and no side fan, unlike the newegg link I posted.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2010 9:55 am
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

I'm running the armor right now and it's not a bad case once you mod it. The top fan will need to be modded. I also added a fan on the bottom for even more airflow. Also, note that since it is 1mm thick steel that this case is HEAVY. Fully loaded expect your computer to weigh approx 50lbs or more.

But yeah, don't go with the bulldozer. I hear they break easily and it is VERY cramped.

There are a few pictures of what I've done in my album. here: http://www.gnd-tech.com/main/album.php?albumid=5

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2010 10:13 am
Lhotse
(@lhotse)
Guru

@Jester 26744 wrote:

,not to mention it just looks retarded.

lmao for real. what can i say, i'm easily amused sometimes and it does look like a beast.
thank you so much for the info. that case just went to the top of the list and if nothing else grabs my attention more, that will be the one most likely.

sturdinox- i noticed you have the i7-930. i'm looking at.the 860 but i've seen VERY competitive prices on yours(the 930). is there a decent jump in performance from the 860-930?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2010 10:35 am
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

The i7 930 and i7 860 are for different platforms. The i7 930 is for the LGA 1366 platform, requiring more expensive X58 motherboards and triple channel memory. The benefits? More memory bandwidth, more PCI-E lanes which helps for multi-GPU setups. The i7 860 is built for the LGA 1156 platform, requiring less expensive P55 or H55 motherboards and dual channel memory. The benefits? Lower costs, more transistors but this difference really doesn't affect performance. The PCI-E controller is on the CPU so there are less PCI-E lanes to go around on the LGA 1156 platform without the help of add-on chips such as the NF200.

Both CPUs alone have very similar specifications aside from the transistor count and QPI (2.5 GT/s vs 4.8 GT/s) and I believe the same multiplier as well. But they are used on different platforms.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2010 10:54 am
strudinox
(@strudinox)
BOT Admin

Yes very. However, it's a completely different platform. The 930 is for the LGA1366 socket motherboards which support tripple channel DDR3 among other things. The 860 is for the LGA1156 socket. This would require a P55 motherboard as apposed to the X58 series the 930 would require.

The 860 also runs at 2.5 GT/s while the 930 run at 4.8GT/s

EDIT: Beat me to it. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2010 10:57 am
Lhotse
(@lhotse)
Guru

@Jester 26744 wrote:

The best case you can buy below $150 is the Cooler Master Storm Sniper.

jester, i was thinking of this for a few more dollars.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2010 1:41 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

That's a good choice too, a very good one. They have pretty much the same features but the HDD cage is riveted in that one opposed to screwed in the Storm Sniper, but I don't think that means much. The HAF 932 can hold two PSUs, three 120mm top fans (or 360mm radiator) and two 120mm bottom intake fans if you use a top mounted PSU. The only real bad thing about the HAF 932 is the complete lack of dust filters. However you can make your own with pantyhose. Or you can buy this, but at that price you'd be approaching the HAF-X which is easily the best all-around full tower case out there, and it has free shipping and includes the best gaming mouse for free.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2010 1:48 pm
Lhotse
(@lhotse)
Guru

that's it. that's the one and that's that. i'm pulling the trigger on the haf-x tomorrow before the deal runs out on the 29th and i'll probably go for the Windows 7 HP combo pack.
thanks so much for the help Jester.
-Llotse :o)

p.s. i found it here for this w/o the mouse.(i have a Logitech MX518 now)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2010 2:51 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

@Jester 26872 wrote:

However you can make your own with pantyhose.

Because most men have those laying around the house just incase... :laugh:

Arg Jester, you make me regret buying the ATCS 840! I want the HAF X! It's so sexy looking......

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2010 2:55 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

Nice deal on the HAF-X! So no luck on selling your one of a kind black ATCS 840 for $400, Enad? 🙁

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2010 3:37 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

Well how much better is the HAF X cooling wise. Because that's all I really care about right now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2010 3:49 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

Buy an HAF-X and tell us. I have yet to see a direct comparison between the two. 🙂

But I can give you my best guess. GPU temps will be considerably better without even adding additional fans. The side 200mm intake fan has a nice duct over it blowing fresh air right over your video card. Like your old Cosmos S except the air goes straight to your GPU, the fan is a little bit weaker (700 RPM/110 CFM vs 900 RPM/150 CFM) and you can actually still use your TRUE without doing anything to the side fan. You should also use a good 120mm fan in the included VGA air duct. The hard drive cage is a wee bit less restrictive than the ATCS 840 HDD cage so the fan in the VGA air duct in the HAF-X will blow more air than the fans on the back of your HDD cage.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2010 3:54 pm
Lhotse
(@lhotse)
Guru

WOW !!! i just watched this i had NO idea of t3h MASSIVE dimensions of this beast ! i think i need to check the tower space on my pc desk w/ a tape measure to see if it will even fit !
(see the normal size case next to the haf-x for comparison)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2010 5:43 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

Yeah it's pretty big. And that case next to it is the HAF 922 which actually has around the same length and width, just not height. However I have yet to see a full tower case that is bigger than mine (Cooler Master ATCS 840).

18.jpg

Nevertheless the HAF-X can hold more video cards (four dual slot cards) and overall it is a better case than mine in my opinion.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2010 7:11 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: