Article: Top 10 Best Horror Games of All Time  

RSS
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

You can view the page at http://www.gnd-tech.com/content/997-Top-10-Best-Horror-Games-of-All-Time

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2014 9:12 pm
grompz
(@grompz)
Trusted

I just saw this list, I think it's a good one although I didn't play some of those games, but I trust you.
I expected SCP though.

That being said, I think it would be better if you split the list into 2 distincts categories: psychological horror and surival horror, as there are games that excells in one categorie and sucks in the other.

For example, I don't find resident evil disturbing. Atmospheric and stressful, yes, but not disturbing. On the other side, you have games like Harvester which is not a survival horror (it's a FMV) but it could fit into psychological horror (it lacks of a proper atmosphere though and it's not scary at all), as it is both a mix of cheesy and yet disturbing elements at the same time. The game is all about a virtual reality programmed to turn people into serial killers and the game forces the main protagonist to think that way by literally bashing every possible moral value, thus making him insensible to violence. It also mocks the cliché which consists into people being violent because they play violent video games

By the way, any thoughts on Resident Evil 0?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/07/2016 2:22 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

Splitting the categories up like that is a good idea, although then each list would be so small. Both survival horror and psychological horror have such a small percentage of well made games in my opinion.

Ah, I forgot that Resident Evil Zero is being brought back to life. I did play the original. If you didn't like any of the classic ones (1-3 or Code Veronica) then you won't like Zero, since Zero is similar but worse in pretty much every way. The game relies entirely on the setting and survival horror like the other classics, but the setting is totally forgettable so it's not left with much else.

By SCP did you mean SCP Containment Breach? That game is awesome but barely playable, the poor thing needs to be remade preferably on UE4.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/07/2016 7:29 pm
grompz
(@grompz)
Trusted

Well that's a shame if RE0 is worse. I played the original RE1, liked the atmosphere and tension but I didn't like much the gameplay to be honest, maybe the HD remaster is less clunky? A remake of RE2 is on it's way too I heard. I hope they won't screw up.

What I really need right now is, at the bare minimum, a Steam or GOG version of SH2 and SH3. I don't know if it will happen though, 'cause Konami is such a joke now. Ideally, an HD version remade on UE4 (I guess), but it will never happen, too much 'niche market' I guess.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/07/2016 5:13 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

@Grompz 121459 wrote:

Well that's a shame if RE0 is worse. I played the original RE1, liked the atmosphere and tension but I didn't like much the gameplay to be honest, maybe the HD remaster is less clunky? A remake of RE2 is on it's way too I heard. I hope they won't screw up.

What I really need right now is, at the bare minimum, a Steam or GOG version of SH2 and SH3. I don't know if it will happen though, 'cause Konami is such a joke now. Ideally, an HD version remade on UE4 (I guess), but it will never happen, too much 'niche market' I guess.

I haven't played the latest RE1 remake, but it is said to be playable by modern PC gamers so that's a good sign regarding its clunkiness.

The classic Silent Hill games did get remastered on consoles. If they aren't on PC they won't be, plus the console ones are said to be buggy as hell and have even worse voice acting. They will remain forever clunky and emulated. The same fate that many classics share sadly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/07/2016 6:20 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

Someone is making SCP Containment Breach on Unity 5, and the project is still alive. A playable version is out now.

http://undertowgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5553

The beginning is really hard lol. SCP-173 is relentless.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/12/2016 10:59 am
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register