Notifications
Clear all

Article: ECS Confirms Intel Core i7 990X

Page 2 / 3
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

Yeah but people like Jester and Strud, and alot of people here like to having the bragging rights and like having bigger numbers in some program, you will get better FPS, but it's not always necessary as you seem to have understood already.
The reason Jester(and I) went i5 opposed to i7 is that it's much cheaper, or was at the time, and with overclocking(Might not even need to do that) you will get the same gaming performance, i7 might be more useful if you multi-task to the max, but otherwise it's pretty pointless and an i5 can do everything an i7 can.

If you're looking for a purchase advice, I would just go i5 or wait for the new P67 sandy bridge series to come in a week or more.
You don't have to overclock, It's just something enthusiasts like to do to max out their systems. So don't worry about it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/01/2011 5:39 pm
Darken1
(@darken1)
Jedi

@Enad 54360 wrote:

Well Darken1 uses his GPU for folding so I don't see what else he could do with a CPU like that. 😕

That CPU folds about 30% faster than my i7 920 i would love to have one 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/01/2011 7:29 pm
iiNNeX
(@iiNNeX)
GODLIKE

If you ever buy an i7 930 and above (even the 920) and you DO NOT overclock it ... your a DUMB***... Seriously why wouldn't you ? its got such great potential and the performance boost is quite noticeable. Just saying this is not directed at anybody in particular just in general.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/01/2011 10:06 pm
Lhotse
(@lhotse)
Guru

@iNNeX 54400 wrote:

If you ever buy an i7 930 and above (even the 920) and you DO NOT overclock it ... your a DUMB***... Seriously why wouldn't you ? its got such great potential and the performance boost is quite noticeable. Just saying this is not directed at anybody in particular just in general.

again...................better HOW ?
will my response time over my competitors in multi-player be quicker? how much more 'lush' do gfx get after you throttle all the settings to max AND overclock it, as opposed to NOT overclocking it ?
or do they just stay as nice and the response time the same w/o overclocking an i7 950 ?
i'm not so much interested in 'burning the candle at both ends' if i'm not even gonna notice it too much just so i can post screenshots that prove i push 4 GHZ through my cpu w/o it going up in smoke.......and forcing me to spend another $250. to replace it and who knows what else.
i'm not a techie X. i'm a gamer. all i care about is running games i like and drilling you through the head w/ my Gauss rifle while doing it. if i could get it done w/ a hamster on a treadmill, i would.:coolness:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/01/2011 11:02 pm
iiNNeX
(@iiNNeX)
GODLIKE

Im a competitive gamer so every fps counts my friend. If we played 1v1 and you had 35 fps and I had 80 fps I would kill you quicker if we shot at exactly the same time (: Also what if you were getting 25 fps on Crysis 2 lets say ? (just saying an example) And if people told you that if you overclock your CPU you can get 45fps lets say wont you do it ? And processors don't exactly burn if you know how to do it properly. Usually requires a very good cooler :/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/01/2011 11:11 pm
Joe
 Joe
(@joe)
Assended

Overclocking your processor means your processor is effectively upgraded. For example, you could spend £200 on a i7 950 and overclock it so it will out perfom a £750 i7 980x.

Or even better, a i7 2500k ($200) beating a 980x.

The performance depends on what you're doing. A higher CPU overclock will help in CPU intensive games/programs like Bad Company 2, or if you're decoding/encoding video. If you're running Medium graphics on BC2 and overclock, you may even be able to turn the graphical settings up.

Better graphics usually come from the GPU's though, reasoning for overclocking is the same. Remember the GTX 470 OC vs GTX 480 Stock thread were people compared their Unigine scores?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2011 6:26 am
Evire
(@evire)
Ninja

@iNNeX 54412 wrote:

Im a competitive gamer so every fps counts my friend. If we played 1v1 and you had 35 fps and I had 80 fps I would kill you quicker if we shot at exactly the same time (: Also what if you were getting 25 fps on Crysis 2 lets say ? (just saying an example) And if people told you that if you overclock your CPU you can get 45fps lets say wont you do it ? And processors don't exactly burn if you know how to do it properly. Usually requires a very good cooler :/

+1
I do run crysis at max settings, but when I compete I like the extra boost of OC my CPU and lower the settings ingame.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2011 6:45 am
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

Lloste is kinda right though, Overclocking is not needed unless your FPS is low, otherwise it's just a bragging thing, if your FPS is 60 FPS always then there's really no point to overclock other than to say you did.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2011 1:03 pm
Evire
(@evire)
Ninja

And if you said you did, Enda would like you even more 😀

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2011 1:05 pm
BabyBalla
(@babyballa)
Guru

@iNNeX 54412 wrote:

Im a competitive gamer so every fps counts my friend. If we played 1v1 and you had 35 fps and I had 80 fps I would kill you quicker if we shot at exactly the same time (: Also what if you were getting 25 fps on Crysis 2 lets say ? (just saying an example) And if people told you that if you overclock your CPU you can get 45fps lets say wont you do it ? And processors don't exactly burn if you know how to do it properly. Usually requires a very good cooler :/

noob.

So Ping has nothing to do with it? Why is that i'm pulling over 150fps in most games and still get beat to shot when in EU vs NA server? If can play with 20fps with 0 ping and still get the kill you if you had 100fps and high ping.

again it depends on the game. Some games barely uses the cpu much and everything is done over the GPU. Overclocking the cpu would barely give you a gain assuming your bottleneck free

@Enad 54367 wrote:

Yeah but people like Jester and Strud, and alot of people here like to having the bragging rights and like having bigger numbers in some program, you will get better FPS, but it's not always necessary as you seem to have understood already.
The reason Jester(and I) went i5 opposed to i7 is that it's much cheaper, or was at the time, and with overclocking(Might not even need to do that) you will get the same gaming performance, i7 might be more useful if you multi-task to the max, but otherwise it's pretty pointless and an i5 can do everything an i7 can.

If you're looking for a purchase advice, I would just go i5 or wait for the new P67 sandy bridge series to come in a week or more.
You don't have to overclock, It's just something enthusiasts like to do to max out their systems. So don't worry about it.

If you had a fair comparison, Overclocked i5 and overclocked i7. i7 will beat it in everything.

and why buy a 980x/990x when you get better performance from a 950 overclocked? Well Overclock those 6cores/12 threads then come back 😕

http://hwbot.org/community/submission/1080180_benchbrothers.de_cpu_z_core_i7_extreme_980x_7047_mhz
vs
http://hwbot.org/community/submission/956308_psycho_a.k.a._kurumi_cpu_z_core_i7_950_5859.6_mhz

clock for clock, the 980x is faster due to the extra 2 cores. Like the dual to quad core comparision. Why buy a quad when you could overclock a dual core and give it better performance

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2011 2:25 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

Better how? First of all, I'm sure Darken1 runs a CPU folding client so the added cores, threads and even cache can help with that. Some rendering programs may be able to take advantage of the added threads and cores. Gaming? No, there is no need for one of these CPUs for gaming but that's not the only thing people use their PC for.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2011 3:56 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

Let's just settle it and say Six Cores is better than 4 but you don't NEED those 6 cores. Okay? End of discussion.
Let's move on. :p

Lol @X, Online it's Ping that matters, I get 100+ FPS in Black Ops but if my Ping is shit I won't be doing too good will I?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2011 4:05 pm
Jester
(@jester)
Member Moderator

@Enad 54544 wrote:

Let's just settle it and say Six Cores is better than 4 but you don't NEED those 6 cores. Okay? End of discussion.
Let's move on. :p

Lol @X, Online it's Ping that matters, I get 100+ FPS in Black Ops but if my Ping is shit I won't be doing too good will I?

You don't NEED a computer to survive. So of course six cores are not needed. Four cores are not needed. Two cores are not needed. One core is not needed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2011 4:12 pm
Enad
 Enad
(@enad)
Member Moderator

Yeah but that wasn't the discussion. We were talking 6 cores over 4.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2011 4:27 pm
SJentZ
(@sjentz)
Ninja

Overclocking might help if you have around 60 FPS, but you wanna record as well 😛

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2011 4:32 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share: